Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

These are the first dogs that I have owned myself and not as a family pet. I adopted Pumpkin, a Bluetick Coonhound, possible Border Collie cross about 5 months ago. The smaller one, Fauna, a Blue Heeler/Rat Terrier(? Possibly) I rescued from an awful farm about 1-2 months ago. Both dogs are wonderful and very loving. The smaller one is a little lazy but is recovering from extreme anemia from flea infestation. They go to the dog park almost everyday and I spoil them. :) They can definitely be a handful when it comes to herding. If anyone has experience with cattle dogs/border collies a little advice on redirecting the herding would be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
awww .. What a great looking pair they are matched--- they look like Big and little versions of themselves! Sorry no help on herding dogs, but I am sure someone will chime in... the Forum is a great resource, Welcome!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cute :3

My two cents with what I've been doing with my first herder is I gave him something else to chase. He'll still get excited but I've gotten him to off and sit and then praised and if we're in a position to play with a ball. I've been getting him to chase that instead. And he will get amped and jump and nip for it so I've had him sit and drop it and wait then I pick it up and toss.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Wow, they are REALLY expressive! I'm in love <3

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Your dogs are absolutely adorable! :) I love the smallest one in particular.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So cute! It breaks my heart to hear that Fauana lived in such terrible conditions. I don't understand how anyone could be so cruel to such a cute dog (or any dog for that matter). I'm glad you were able to rescue her before it was too late! I haven't dealt much with herding issue myself, but my friend's dog had the same issue. She began playing fetch with a tennis ball and her dog loved it. She said it helped a lot so that might be worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I was worried about Fauna for sometime because as soon as I got her I took her home and gave her a bath, or 5, because she was in such bad shape. Her white fur was brown and she had blood washing off her body from the fleas. But now she is doing much better, although she does still nap a lot but I'm beginning to think that's just her style. She clearly has the right idea on how to live life. But, I've tried lots of things with Pumpkin and we had a trainer for a couple of months that really turned her around. She no longer bullies puppies or chases children when they run, but she does tend to play a little too rough for my tastes, but we are working on that. Fauna likes to chase squirrels and herd which is making Pumpkin pick up old bad habits. Pumpkin has a Chuck-It that she is obsessed with so that seems to be working out for her. Fauna however I have to go grab her every know and that at the park because she plays rough as well. So when they both get together we're pretty much the terrors of the dog park. :p Well, just take it one day at a time. Maybe as they get a little older they will learn that herding small groups of children is not socially acceptable behavior. :p

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
They are lovely, such pretty dogs. My BC was born to herd and she does so as well, any animal will do really she is not fussed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts