Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, she's not the might lion I expected but she's here!
Great pyr my butt.

She's super tiny, smaller than Aleu was at this age (6 or 7 months). She's a lot smaller than I expected but in a way that makes me feel a bit more at ease.

Introductions were okay. She greeted me and leaned against me, which was a sign I liked. She's not really leash trained but she's not doing bad. The first thing she did, 15 minutes from home, was crawl into the backseat and poo in my car.
She has already asked to go out twice since we've been home, but she's in heat so trips are frequent.

Thus far, she's a rambler. She must know all about all. Her prey drive is INTENSE. The cat is not a welcome -or safe- party right now. I was told she was okay with dogs but thus far, she has not shown reassuring signs. But, she has only come into contact with very rude dogs so far. She seems to get very defensive and wants to give it right back to them. Not something I wanted to have to deal with but we'll get through it.

She's currently in heat so, panties.

She's already met a child, one who just ran up squealing. She did fantastic with that, so there's one big worry off.
I left her alone in the crate for about 5 minutes so I could walk up the road. When I came back, she was quiet and settled.

Overall, she seems to be catching on to things quickly and is already starting to settle in. We'll start real training tomorrow and just begin working out a schedule today. Right now, she's all tuckered out.

Now time for pics!

This is her first real walk. The guy said she wasn't leash trained (and she has proved it Lol) but she does well off leash (we won't be testing that yet) but she did well.

Great pry and mini-poodle huh?

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
She is beautiful. Weirdly, I would believe there's some poodle SOMEWHERE based on that face, but. Mostly, yeah. LOl.

I am so, so happy for you.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so. much. walking.

I bet we've taken 5 walks, one real real one so far. She's only been here 5 hours Dx.

At the same time, she's turned off right now, but with a little whining. I feel like she's just generally uncomfortable from being in heat.

And, I'm pretty sure she's dog aggressive. Like, very dog aggressive. This, I can't deal with again. I want to take my dog places, and I could take Diesel nowhere because of the dog aggression

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
She's in heat, in a new home, probably in the middle of a fear period and on a leash for he first time ever. If she were happy to see other dogs/not acting defensively (or aggressively) I'd wonder what was wrong with her.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's being SEVERELY aggressive. I thought it was the rudeness so I tried Troubles.
She went for him.

i'm so glad I was lied to about this.thrilled to have been told she is adoring of other dogs when in all reality she only wants to attack them. I have money says this is why he couldn't deal with her anymore.

I.
omg.

So, advice. Should I give her time, how much? Or should I send her back and avoid... I don't know. i can't rehome an aggressive dog.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this was literally the one thing I couldn't deal with. the one thing.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
She is going through a looooot of stress right now so that could definitely be a factor.

But also I don't think there's anything wrong with deciding she isn't the dog for you and giving her back.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just messaged him about it. He's still saying that she has always been dog friendly.

This dog has nothing else wrong with her besides that but it was the biggest thing for me. I loved Diesel dearly but was miserable that I couldn't take him anywhere without a dogfight breaking out.
I wanted to bring her to my barn with me. I can't if she's dog aggressive. I can't do anything I wanted to do if she's dog aggressive.

I'll give her some time. I want her to work out. but i absolutely can't do DA.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Am sorry to hear about that,, she reminds me of a BC and they can be barky barky about every thing and overly intense about cats and be very normal for the breed.. No matter if she is DA or not,, it may not be breed traits your looking for in a companion.. You have to go with your gut on this one... Am happy you get an opportunity to spend some time with her.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No trainers around here, period.

I've calmed a bit, after crating her so I could gather myself (she fell asleep in there anyway. no crate problems thus far)

She's... so easy. so easy being in the house, to walk, to play with. I hate to give up on her.
I took a step back and thought about this as if I were responding to another poster. How would I advise someone else going through this.

I want to love her, I want a hiking buddy and someone who can go to the barn with me, someone that will allow my cat to be in the house with hir (supervised of course). She wasn't aggressive with the cat, just intense.

I'm going to give her time to get settled, to learn the leash, and to learn me.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Ok so my thoughts kind of jumbled.

I don't think there's anything wrong with realizing a specific trait is a no go. I knew bringing Hank home that DA was something I couldn't and wouldn't deal with. If there had been serious aggression towards the paps, he would have gone back. It's always kind of a crapshoot with adult dogs and even if you're told they are one way they could always potentially not be that way or react poorly to your specific situation/animals. There is no harm in realizing that the situation is not what you want.

All THAT said a female in heat and having just had her world turned upside down is not the best time to really evaluate a dog's temperament. I actually got Summer in a similar state (though she was just post losing puppies and very hormonal that way vs being in heat). She attacked Beau a lot at first. And they're fine together and she's not DA at all.

So I guess my questions would be if you do keep her longer to evaluate her and she IS DA or at the least can't be around Troubles (he's the chihuahua, right?) and/or your cats then what? Will the previous owner be willing to take her back? Will you be stuck with having to rehome her yourself? With Hank I had a 30 day trial period so I could just send him back any time in those 30 days and be fine. If you know you have options it'll take that pressure off and imo you can evaluate more objectively.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Awe I'm sorry that she's acting DA, but like Laurelin said it could just be from the stress and heat...I hope she's not truly DA and is just stressed out.

ETA: Jake seemed DA at first when we got him we couldn't let him near any dogs, then he was ok with females only, recently we walked by a male GSD puppy *which would've set him off before* and Jake sniffed him and then ignored him which is a LOT better than the first time he met a male puppy and he was snarling and lunging towards it. Maybe time will help

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He did say he would take her back, but that he would end up rehoming her again. That would be his business.

I'm trying to give her ever BOTD.
I took her for her night walk about an hour ago, we went by a dog acting aggressively (I know him. He never acts this way, it might just be her) but I had her sit and watch me, and she did it! To me, that's a good sign, that she would rather pay attention to me than the dog wanting to eat her. So... we'll go that direction for a while, work on the watch me and leave it (Which she is good at cause I left a steaming bowl of roast and chicken alfredo right in front of her and she never touched it. amazing, frankly) Try the LAT game.

right now she just came in from the potty and she's picking toys from her basket. I have two baskets in here,one with decorative teddies, another with her toys. I told her which was hers, and she knows... will not touch the teddies, just her basket.

Dog is seriously perfect. I have to work with this.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts