Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a rescue from a shelter (August). He's 3 according to the vet. He was listed as a lab retriever but as time has gone on I have reason to believe otherwise. He has white patches on his chest and back feet.He always points his foot when he sees a squirrel so part of me thinks he's got some pointer in him. Second his ears don't fall like a typical lab and instead falls like a Jack Russels ears that stand up at times and at others fall forward. Lastly his tail isn't the straight otter tail typical of labs and instead is curved and feathered somewhat. Any thoughts on his breeding?

Here's a few photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Medium sized, short haired and drop eared dogs are all lab mixes according to shelters. He could be anything. Okay not a blend of toy dogs or of all long haired breeds or all giant breeds but other than that anything goes.

If you get really curious do a DNA test. Bet you can guess which dog in my avatar is half Chihuahua and which one is half poodle just from the head. Since the poodle mix doesn't have a curly hair coat he doesn't look poodle but mix it up enough and that coat is lost. In the jumbling of hair coat genes he ended up without the typical poodle coat.

Pointing is part of the hunt sequence. Most dogs will do it if they have any prey drive atl all. Pointers simply have a bred in stall at that point then are trained to hold it and continue as directed by the hunter. Labs have a lot of hair on the tail. If it curves then the longer hairs will look a bit like feathering.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts