Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just joined this community today and wanted to say hi 馃檪 Here are my 2 dogs. The yellow one is Cody, a 4 year old Shar pei / Corgi / Lab mix, and the dark one is Jasper, a 12 week old German Shepherd / Saint Bernard / Rottweiler / Husky mix. Sorry for the picture, Jasper does have 2 normal eyes, this is just the only picture I have of both together looking at the camera right now and he happens to be winking
Dog Collar Carnivore Grass Dog breed

馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thanks! We didn't do a DNA test, although I have been thinking about it. Cody is a rescue so we don't know for sure, however he has some unique traits that made guessing easier (very short height, curly tail, fur texture, color markings). We asked our vet when we first adopted him without telling her our guesses, and we were surprised when she guessed the exact same things, so we went with that.
Jasper we got from an "oops" litter, and both mom and dad were there. Dad was a German shepherd Rottie mix who looked a purebred German shepherd, mom was black and white supposed Saint Bernard and Husky mix who looked like a mystery to me lol. A couple of Jasper's siblings did look like Husky and Saint Bernard mixes though so I'm inclined to believe it, however am still thinking about DNA testing for fun :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha RonE genetics are funny huh :) yeah that's why I want to do the DNA test because you never know. I'm certain on Cody's Shar pei and Corgi (due to ear shape and ear "pockets", and his length and height and tail). The lab is what he was adopted out to us as (they said he was a lab mix) although I wouldn't be shocked if he was pit or something else instead with no lab.
On Jasper the only thing I'm sure of is German Shepherd. The other 3 breeds are just what the owner of the oops litter told us. I can kind of see Saint Bernard in his nose freckles but I don't think he's going to be giant so who knows 馃し鈥嶁檧锔 he will be 13 weeks tomorrow and he weighs 28 lbs.

Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
Guesses of lab and/or shepherd for large dogs and poodle and/or chihuahua for small dogs usually have a 60%+ chance of being right. They are just so common in mixed breeds.

But genetics do very strange things. My Moose-dog was thought to be shepherd and rottie as a puppy. Then he grew up very tall and very very thin. The concensus was shepherd and dobie and probably a bit of something else. DNA said shepherd, poodle, and newfie. In hindsight it made absolute sense - but no one ever guessed it.

Reactions: Cythiriya

Registered
One reason I asked is because of the pictures in your other thread. Looking at the first one I would have guessed no, those ears are not likely to stand. Looking at the second I would have said just the opposite LOL! Knowing the percentages of pointy-eared vs floppy-eared breeds in the mix for your new puppy might help steer a guess (and that's all it would be) one way or the other. Cute puppy!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks :) We'll know either way in about 3-5 months, I read if they're going up they will be up by then. He did have tapeworms 馃ぎ as a young puppy when he first brought him home, so I wonder if that could have slowed down the ear development a bit.
And whatever Cody is mixed with, he has a very high prey drive and really strong guard dog/protection instincts, and he had then right from the get-go (we rescued him when he was a puppy). Jasper is more likely to lick and cuddle you to death 馃グ

Banned
I think the most likely breeds in mixes would vary wildly by the area you're in.

If you're getting them tested, I guess that the yellow has pit bull, lab & possibly other breeds & that the black has border collie & something(s) big. He looks like a border collie x lab I once knew. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also possibly great dane for the black. BTW, I'm not some kind of expert, but really like these puzzles.
I love these puzzles too! I love all dogs purebred or mixed, big or small...but I do really enjoy trying to guess the mixes! I probably won't test until December (Xmas gift time 馃榿 only way I can talk my husband into it lol!) So this thread will be old but I'll post the results if anyone is curious 鈽 no unsolved mysteries here!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DNA results are in! Very fun to do, I highly recommend wisdom panel:) Looks like Jasper is mostly German Shepherd and Saint Bernard :) with 14 other breed mix-ins (although all others are less than 10%. The highest % breeds are in this photo. I didn't add the picture of him until after we got the results.)
World Font Terrestrial plant Circle Electric blue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts