Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new member here, but I and my wife love dogs, we owned a dog most of our lives mostly shepherds. Our last dog Louis recently died of old age.

We are looking for a dog now, most likely we want to adopt one since the current recession made so many good dogs homeless, what a shame.

We moved into country lately, I am thinking of keeping a few chickens or other poultry around. What would be a suitable breed of medium size (25 to 50 lb) getting along and perhaps even protecting domestic birds?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would suggest staying away from bird dogs LOL
You could always talk to the shelter and see if you could foster the dog first to see how he gets on with the birds.
Some herding breeds, might herd the chickens. Ummm I really have no suggestions... Good luck

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I had a two Rotties that would herd anything. The first time they saw a flock of domestic geese, they were operating like a well oiled machine. It was like they were born knowing what to do (because they were). The male even attempted to herd our alcoholic Mourning Doves a couple of times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do not need herding dog, just a dog going after predators (coons, possum etc.) while not harming domestic birds.

I'll second the english shepherd recommendation.
Thanks for suggestion, English shepherd is a beauty, but I would like a dog with shorter hair.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the good thing about herding dogs though is that even though they may try and herd your chickens they will also protect your chickens. although a rooster and a dog is not a good mix with any breed. if you wanted a short haired breed I would second looking into a border collie or maybe even a corgi

·
Registered
487 Posts
I do not need herding dog, just a dog going after predators (coons, possum etc.) while not harming domestic birds.

Thanks for suggestion, English shepherd is a beauty, but I would like a dog with shorter hair.
I just want to make sure you know that shorter hair does not necessarily (and indeed often doesn't) mean less shedding

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
English shepherds do have a lot of variety in coat type, you would probably be able to find a line with shorter/thinner hair. There are also lines that are more gaurdian type dogs, some that are more herding type dogs, some that are more vermin killing type . . . and some lines that excel in all 3 areas.

Otherwise you may want to look into LGDs, get a puppy and raise it with the chickens, or buy an adult dog that was raised with chickens. Either way I would look into a breed that was bred to be a farm/homesteading dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts