Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 year old Beagle/Lab has been throwing up the last 48 hours. We are very careful of what we feed her. No human food. She has had the same dog food since she was a puppy. I've also given her some chicken strips chews, which she has enjoyed for months with no problems.

But the last 48 hours, she hasn't been able to keep her food down. Tonight is the 2nd consecutive night she's thrown up all of her food.

Before I take her to the vet, I need to ask if there's any medication for this. I know it'll be hard for the Vet to pinpoint it to specific problem and will likely have her on medication. I'd rather get the medication myself to save money.

Please advise. Thank you.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,513 Posts
It is not possible to diagnose or treat the dog on the Internet. For the protection of the dog, and of this forum,
please read the disclaimer for this subforum and see a vet.

*Important - All serious concerns with your dog's health and well-being should be handled by a Veterinarian, so please refrain from asking questions that are best suited for their office.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Sorry, no such thing as a anti vomit medication.

Vomiting is a reaction to something, a symptom. Its one thing if your dog had a upset tummy, vomited and was fine right adter but TWO DAYS is a long time to be vomiting so best to go to a vet to diagnose. Sometimes saving money isnt smart if you can potentially have a serious problem with her. Hope she turns out okay, but go to the vet ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
First off I agree with the advice you have gotten from others about the need for a vet visit b/c 2 days is a long time for this problem to go on............

Things to think about while you waiting for that vet apt.


Have you sprayed any chem on the yard ?

Is your car leaking/overflow antifreeze ? ( poison )

Do you have any rat baits out, in house/yard ?

Have you used any new cleaner or chem in the house , if inside dog ?

Look around the house, yard , garage ect. for evidence that the dog may have gotten into something that could be harmful ?

Check for recalls on the dog food and treats ?

Is it likely your dog could have eaten a dead animal , look around ?

Is there any standing water in a bucket old tire or other type receptacle in or around your yard ?

Does the dog drink creek water ?

Dogs like to eat grass and sometimes tall weeds , house plants/flowers , some of these plants leaves/berries ect are poison .....................

Check your dog for any bug bites , rash , or wound of any kind .... also look at the eyes and gums /tongue for anything abnormal .


Best , oldhounddog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's why I don't want to take her to the Vet....just yet anyways. I've become soured with the experiences of doctors/vets/etc. You may disagree but they don't cure. They don't tell you how to prevent. All they do is treat.

Doc I got an itch
Oh...well it could be many things but I'll prescribe you take X and call me next week.
Well how can I prevent that again?
You can't. That's why taking X will help relieve it.

The same with my dog. I don't want to take her in there and have them just give her medication without knowing what caused her to vomit in the first place. To me that's not helping. Medication will help, but they mark it up so much that I'd rather get it on my own. Of course I can't without a Vet's prescription. So I"m back to the vet.

It's never ending.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,513 Posts
The last time one of my dogs had the kind of chronic vomiting you're talking about, it turned out she had gotten into some very bad standing water and had an infection, which the vet treated with antibiotics after testing her.

He did, in fact, help me prevent a re-occurance by advising me to get rid of the standing water. He also diagnosed the problem and treated it, rather than just dealing with symptoms.

We can't do that here. We're not vets (most of us, anyway, and the ones here who are vets have not had the opportunity to examine your dog.)

I don't happen to agree with your assessment of vets or doctors, but you're going to deal with this in the way you see fit.

And I''m going to close this thread, since you're not going to accept anyone's advice here anyway.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top