Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
CONGRATS on all fronts! I'd be interested to hear how she does when you start weaning. Good luck! Though I think Molly will be fine :)

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #262

I put the discs up to do some other stuff.

She found them again, LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
CONGRATS on all fronts! I'd be interested to hear how she does when you start weaning. Good luck! Though I think Molly will be fine :)
I will also be following this journey. Medication has been suggested for my anxiety dog, Chocolate, so I appreciate this thread. It's good to know that meds can be used as a temporary tool instead of for the life of the dog.

Not rehoming or euthanizing my damaged mongrel either way, unless someone else can give her a better life.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Oh, hey. I forgot to do the medication taper update.

So, at half-dose (20mg) she's fine and pretty much same as always. OFF she is not bad but becomes really really food obsessed. Nothing reactivity wise but kind of OCD about food again.

She is not at her best right now thanks to stay at home orders. She's pretty sharp actually, and super fast to respond to everything. No surprise there, but does reinforce my belief that decompression activities were a big part of the picture in helping her.

Reactions: parus and LeoRose

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's fantastic news. I'm still trying to avoid anti-anxiety meds for Chocolate unless I can work with a licensed, qualified veterinarian who agrees with me about an exit strategy, so it's great to know that you were able to use these meds as a tool, rather than the life sentence they used to be for humans in the "bad old days".

This "people virus" is nothing compared to my area's gazillionth wave of our local parvo epidemic, but it's even hard on my Chihuahuas to be stuck inside with us (or on our own land) for so long.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
I mean I would keep her on them forever without a single concern too. Heck, I take SSRIs and have no issue with that and I see no reason to ever avoid them or not use them if they're helpful. She's had no real side-effects, no change in energy or personality, no health impacts.

So 'life sentence' seems really judgmental and harsh to me.

She came off because the cycle was broken for her and she no longer needs them and keeping her on them was unnecessary and that's an extra blood work and 100.00 or so a year that I'm spending for no benefit (ie: not much saved), but if she needed to stay on she could stay on her whole life if she needed and benefit and not get a second thought from me. My biggest regret with her is I waited to put her on them to start with.

Reactions: parus

·
Registered
101 Posts
No judgement was intended.

I'm glad that these meds are able to help so many people and dogs. They may not be for everyone, but this is definitely not the place for that sort of a discussion.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Well, I mean it is literally a thread about putting a dog on medication and improving their life and was written to combat ignorance and stigma re : medications that leaves dogs suffering because their humans won't get them help they need so. I'd say yes, it is very much the place for this discussion

·
Registered
101 Posts
In that case, then you have definitely accomplished your goal as far as Chocolate is concerned and done her a great service.

I am relieved that I am not accidentally behaving like a nasty, mean old troll. Society has changed very quickly, both in accepting the fact that mental illness exists and is no laughing matter and, of course, in developing more effective ways of treating it in both dogs and people.

If my dog needs anxiety meds then she needs anxiety meds. I signed up for that when I chose to adopt her. I need to do research that is going to make me feel feelings in order to make sure that I give her the best treatment that is available for her, and that is going to involve talking to people without being a jerk about it or spouting ignorance and outdated information.

Thank you for helping me to accomplish my own goal.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts