·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
6VwfRSOuC3oUIIV3VjFgVn.jpg

5l3LBknVFaipio6i53qnA9.jpg

29opKVYD1S4WmGMmAoE63v.jpg

5o3k8jCefJIUaqYOABJBj1.jpg

...she's more dog friendly than Kylie at this point. Weird.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #244

... Still. Improving.

Weird.

I just like this picture of her chicken watching.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #245

"Reactive".

She does know the lady she's playing with (good friend of mine). She knows neither the other people nor other dogs. There's a bus driving by. There are children at a birthday party screaming.

Un.freaking.real.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
That is so Awesome !!!!!!!
It is. I"m amazed by the change. She went to a trial at a totally unknown (to her) location last weekend - full of unknown dogs and people, and one barn dog who had no owner there but comes with the property and.

4LbIuQKXx9dNiuoLxWhQB6.jpg

2MYvvOKlvIuObnXP8yyPQe.jpg
(Barn dog)

2LQoMDLql8YnSfrac2tXAv.jpg
Not a single hiccough.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Thanks CptJack! Still an inspiration!
Admittedly, some days when I work with a very reactive dog and don't make the amount of progress I hope to make, I think of the Mollys of the world and remember that it doesn't take a day, or a week. But the journey is worth it. I just wish the owners saw it that way too.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Thanks CptJack! Still an inspiration!
Admittedly, some days when I work with a very reactive dog and don't make the amount of progress I hope to make, I think of the Mollys of the world and remember that it doesn't take a day, or a week. But the journey is worth it. I just wish the owners saw it that way too.
Yeah, years is more like the timeline.

Honestly, I think if I'd been stuck without the dog sports community I have, I would have quit. The practical help was useful but the bigger thing was people shrugging about it and saying "Okay so the goal is to be able to compete with management." Because that, weirdly, is easier than the life stuff and. The unexpected thing I only recognize in hindsight is that the very act of doing something she loves (the sport) in these new locations and presence of people and dogs who don't ever expect interaction was that her confidence built and she was counter conditioned/desensitized in away that I just couldnt' do with food alone. And she was safer because her focus wasn't on the scary stuff, it was locked onto the fun stuff making her more tolerant.

Pretty sure being into sports and her drive to work and play actually saved her life.

Along with meds and training, but.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
I think your approach was wonderful and I've actually shifted my approach to something along these lines rather than things like pure BAT. Go out, do what the dog loves first, enjoy being outside. Then, work around dogs. The challenge with a lot of reactive dog techniques is it works on the premise of 'use food, work around other dogs' in some capacity. And the distance is just not workable in real life because the dog is then looking for other dogs and over threshold too fast.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
I think your approach was wonderful and I've actually shifted my approach to something along these lines rather than things like pure BAT. Go out, do what the dog loves first, enjoy being outside. Then, work around dogs. The challenge with a lot of reactive dog techniques is it works on the premise of 'use food, work around other dogs' in some capacity. And the distance is just not workable in real life because the dog is then looking for other dogs and over threshold too fast.
Yeah. The pure theory stuff - is probably really good in a super controlled setting but super controlled settings just don't really exist out in the world and every time the dog gets flung over threshold because they've learned to seek them out things get WORSE. I'm super validated to hear you confirm that.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Jumping straight into working around dogs, disengage, and BAT are fine when a dog is not THAT reactive or when a dog's motivation for X is greater than their fear/frustration of dogs. Like the... 'my dog barks at other dogs and he really wants to say hi' or it's on a scale of 'annoying' for owners. But for the 'I need to drag my snarling beast away and I (owner) am anxious any time I see a dog", we need to go a bit deeper and really, simpler, before jumping into dog stuff.

Honestly, reactivity is so complex that despite a lot of successes I've had working with a variety of reactive dogs... Every time I feel like I've hit on something universally good I meet a dog that is just a little different. It definitely is one of the most challenging stuff, and some of my favorite too just because there is so much potential for bettering quality of life. I mean, you got it faster than most people. It being, expectations, medication, and loving the dog in front of you.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #253 (Edited)
From 6-26-16:

The question now becomes: How many positive experiences will it take ME to stop being a hyper-vigilant basket case?
I lost count somewhere along the way :)P) but stop being a hyper-vigilant basket-case? 'bout 3 years, turns out.

Worst case scenario happened today. HUGE (and I mean massive) lab mix looking thing came crashing out of undergrowth at the creek where the dogs were playing and ran straight into Molly. Molly sniffed ( politely ) then I calmly called and she walked back to me to leash her (and sit on Kiran) while we waited on the dog's owner to come collect his dog.

No negative reaction *at all*. Not to the startle, not to the dog's rudeness, size, or color (all have been issues previously). Nothing.

This might be the point where I actually say 'we have arrived'. Probably not. Probably something will backslide or progress or something, but as of right now, I am pretty damn chill and....

I truly trust my dog.

ETA: Also I took her to an off leash playdate with 2 other dogs in the park today. Not a worry at all. So. Yeah.

7MXp1pnFUFDVUqebA6g6lK.jpg

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #254

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #255

Two years ago, Molly went to get a drink, fell off an underwater ledge, freaked out, swam across a creek and I had to drag her back to the proper side.

I let it go.

Yesterday, I decided to go out in clothes I could get wet, some meatballs and a ball to see if we could get her happy about water again.

Yes. Yes I could.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
That is wonderful <3 <3 ... I always feel that sometimes the dogs are not ready for what you are trying to teach them , expose them to... that there are other skills , experiences to learn first.. And even just needing to be more mature mentally. That there is no shame in getting a refusal and (stop) go do other things instead that flow more freely with dog to learn and experience. And come back to it later..

I know in your situation it was an accidental exposure for Molly that hit her very wrong when she was not in a solid state of her well being.. Wonderful to see all that you have done for her and with her to see her so gracefully take up the opportunity to experience the water.

We were talking on a different group, about fearful aggression behavior.. And I didn't think it was... Tasman had a bad reaction from being put in a crate, into a car on a plane, traveling to the US, and ending up in a strange place all the while surrounded by strangers ... Nothing bad happen to him, no one harmed him, flight was quick on schedule, the paid professional reliable handlers were arranged for him along his journey.. Tasman just had an extreme reaction for his age and undeveloped nervous system.

OH no not getting into a crate, or a vehicle and go on another trip to [email protected] never to return.. NO WAY..... lol... I let him be.. let Tasman be where he wanted to be , no socializing cause he not get in a vehicle to go anywhere lol.... Can't train anything for positive success with a panic animal.. Nothing but home life for Tasman to grow and learn bond, trust with me and his family. He's 2 now, and solid as a rock for anything and everything new.... He is of good breeding and that is what I got a solid dog in his breed.. He didn't need anything more, except time to develop into himself in a safe place

There is no shame to back off and move on in your training in other areas for the general dog owner...

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
People get weird about teaching things RIGHT NOW.

It's almost never important that it be addressed RIGHT THIS SECOND.

Learning to read the dog and follow them has done me (and my dogs) a world of good - in regular old life and also sports. Kiran could weave faster than he could loose leash walk. It's cool.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Bonnie, who is Golden Retriever and Poodle, took almost three years to finally get in the lake with my sister's two Goldens and actually swim. She had been to the lake a lot but would hardly go in far enough to get her feet wet. Her daughter by a Poodle went right in and swam around her second trip to the lake, they are all so different.

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #259

Just Molly. Playing disc at the same time as a couple of other dogs and people. All the dogs stayed on their toy, stayed out of each other's way, and brought their disc back to their person. No big deal.

(Big deal.)

·
Registered
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Since this is her thread now:

54f79Bb9jqnulXFqvmdTfV.jpg

Also, we'll be reducing her medication with intent to wean her off starting in a couple of weeks (with her next refill).

241 - 260 of 264 Posts