Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To those who breed or own the dogs known to carry the MDR1 mutation - what organization tests for the gene, how is the test performed and what is the cost? I want to test Sierra in the near future.

UPDATE: Got my test results today 10/14

Sierra is Normal/Normal

Celebration dance!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Read up at the WSU site. http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

They have a test you can order, it is the only one i recommend, I don't know if others are doing the test yet. My Skyler is mutant/normal. I think a couple others on here have tested their dogs as well, I don't know the results. My vet & any vet my dog sees is made aware of the med list, my vet has an anesthesia & sedation plan for when he needs it (neutering & xrays). We are careful with what he receives. His flea/heart worm meds were actually set by the vet at WSU, they did extensive testing with these brands so we have followed their recommendation, frontline plus & heart guard.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
WSU's test is easy to do and you get the results pretty quickly.

BTW, both of my guys are mutant/mutant. It doesn't change their life at all except for limiting what meds they can take.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I requested our test yesterday. I am curious how soon it will come in and how soon I will get results. I am hoping for normal/normal but I am not getting my hopes up (I believe 50% is the chance for having a mutant gene on WSUs website).

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
The test costs around $70, I got Hawk's results back in 2 and a half weeks.

and IMO $70 is worth it for the strong peace of mind a potential N/N results can give you. If you don't get that result, well your still just as cautious around certain drugs as you were before.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

and IMO $70 is worth it for the strong peace of mind a potential N/N results can give you. If you don't get that result, well your still just as cautious around certain drugs as you were before.
This. I haven't received it yet but I am looking forward to getting it done for the peace of mind of knowing.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

Couldn't agree more, especially with any anesthesia.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

Yep 100% agree. I ordered a kit but i didn't want to keel over at a $500 price tag or something :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts