Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybelle your first dog? A dog could be disobedient if it willfully refuses to do something, ie. sit 101st time in your living room after 100 consecutive sits. If the dog refuses to sit after the first command then there is a non dog-related problem which could be many things including those of medical, psychological, technical or environmental nature. I would therefore investigate what makes the dog not want to do the exercise anymore. She may have lost interest and motivation in performing the behavior for some reason or she may have a stronger motivation not to perform it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ok, all you have to do is re-train the trick she stopped doing along with the fetch game. You have an engagement problem. Your dog knows what you want but for some reason is reluctant to engage - possibly due to some accident in past, you may have got too angry at her and she just figures: "right, this game sucks". It seems like you threw in punishments (or negative consequences) too soon into a freshly trained behavior possibly without even being aware of it. Sit down and think how to train without either one of you getting frustrated, think of a way to really motivate your dog to stay engaged. If you get angry, make a pause, do something else. If I or my dog get frustrated I just stop the exercise and play with him, throwing food or balls all around - I do this to get him revved up, excited or "in drive". It will take a lot of time and a lot of reps for a dog to perform in a bad or just usual mood. Don't take obedience in itself too seriously too soon. I am also very controlling but very patient too - I devote insane amount of time and resources to get results, meaning years of work and thousands upon thousands of reps. For example, to get a good heel command you need about 8 months of training. When your dog looks like it's becoming disobedient, stop and think why that may be, don't rush with decisions. It's safest to retrain the behavior and in the process avoid things that could be unpleasant to the dog, from sunbeams to bad weather. I'd start working on her prey drive, throw the ball (a different type of ball this time) in some distraction free area, see where that gets you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts