Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....I might possibly be getting a job offer pretty soon, not positive yet, but it seems likely I'll be getting it. It will involve a move, of about 6000km, and no, there's no extra zeroes there.
So my question is this, any thoughts or suggestions on making a move like that, along with a dog (and two cats....tips on those are appreciated too). I know the general travel stuff, water, leash, food, poop bags, etc etc etc. Should I be asking the vet about any kind of sedative? It is obviously a LONG trip, but there's also going to be a bit of a time constraint, so we can't just do 500km/day. We'd have about a week (less if at all possible), so yeah, going to be a tough one on the furkids, and us.
Suggestions, thoughts, things I may not have considered?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Wow, no no suggestions, I move btw two ranches every 6 mos (which is why my location periodically changes lol) but its only 2 hr drive. When do you have to make the trip? I would ask your vet about a natural sensitive called melatonin I have never used it on a dog so like I said I would ask but we have used it on our nervous race horses with great results.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trip will probably start in just over two weeks (yeah, no kidding eh!). I'm planning on getting the whole group of furkids in for their shots before we leave, at least since we have a familiar vet here. I'll be asking about the melatonin, and anything else I can give (not a fan of drugging the pets, but I want to limit the stress as much as possible) The cats both have calming collars, I might also order one tonight for Caeda, but I'm not sure if that'll cut it quite enough to keep the cats (well....one in particular) from stressing to death and Caeda being crazy and high strung for the whole trip.
I had considered air-freighting them out and picking them up there, but I've got a funny feeling, although shorter it would be FAR more stressful for them, especially since (from what I understand) sedatives aren't allowed in those circumstances. Besides, I'd probably get sick with worry too!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is flying an option at all? It seems like for a distance like that it would be less stressful, since the abnormal crate time would be minimized....
All that being said, congrats on the job offer!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flying the pets might be a bit of an option, though logistically yet another nightmare (we could only see them off or pick them up....can't afford movers and have a vehicle to get out there). My biggest worry with that option is actually the one cat, he is actually known to stress himself into UTIs. The others would cope (though I'd be a mess until I got them back!). Hmm....so many logistics to figure out.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I know that personal blog links aren't allowed here, but I recently made a post about coping with moving - PM me if you would like the link :)

We made a 32 hour drive multiple times with our dogs (that's about twice what you're doing). The first two times we had two dogs (32 hours up and 32 hours back twice), then the final time when we moved (32 hours once) we had all three. I didn't do sedatives or anything like that. Mine are all used to traveling in their airline crates while in the car, and they just sleep while they are in there (even Kimma who has insane crate anxiety - for some reason she's much better while in the car than in the house, though).

Before we left, I put Kimma in day care so that she could play for a while. The other two just got their usual walks/playtime, as they aren't nearly as active as she is. We picked Kimma up and left right from her day care. I brought enough meals for the whole driving trip (I feed twice a day) and then packed 2 extra for each dog just in case. I had lots more food with me for when we got to where we were going, obviously, but it was easier to portion everything out in plastic baggies to keep handy and pack around their large food containers.

All their shots were up to date and their paperwork was all handy just in case. They all wore rolled leather collars with ID tags that included my current cell number and their rabies tags. They had water in their crates at all times (cups that attached to the metal doors). I put an antler in each crate, but I don't think they even touched them.

Pretty much every time we stopped to eat, fill up on gas, or go to the bathroom ourselves we let them out for a short walk so they could potty. Most of the time they didn't even go since they had been sleeping LOL.

If there's any way to break up the trip a bit - maybe stay overnight somewhere one night or make it a point to take a few hours one day to find a nice hiking spot for Caeda to get some exercies - I would recommend that (I know you're on a time schedule, though...).

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Cats I cannot help you with... But are the dogs used to riding? I could take off cross country with mine, drive hard and not think a thing about it. Merlin is the most traveled. I bet that dog has driven 60 thousand miles.

ridden not driven.... Police frown on dogs driving... Even ACDs....

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
I advise against sedatives for dog or cats. One of my cats, without sedative, will drool and sometimes throw up. With sedative, he can't stand up let alone walk and his eyes point outward. It's so much worse for him, and he often throws up with the sedative given anyway. If your cats are not good in the car, have them in a carrier. My cats don't annoy me so they are loose in the car with access to the litter box. If your cats are going to be freaking out or trying to get under your feet you should have them in a carrier- or if you're worried about them having an accident in the car.

Stuff a couple Kongs or other toys for the dog to work on. Maybe one a day, so if ever he's getting REALLY fidgety you can hand him one. In my experience, dogs tend to settle down and sleep in the car but with such a long trip he's bound to get antsy. Take him out to walk around and potty every time you stop for gas or food. Pets (especially cats) often go off their food when traveling as it's stressful. Maybe bring some canned tuna or really yummy canned food to mix in with the cats' food if they are refusing to eat.

Bring PAPER TOWELS!!! Have a roll or two of paper towels (and a few trashbags for yucky paper towels) on hand just in case. You never know when there will be an accident or barf or spilled water or who knows what.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info guys!!

Personalized tags with our cell numbers is going to be a must for ALL animals. I'll likely grab leashes for the cats too now that I think of it, so they can come out too occasionally.
PAPER TOWELS!!! YES! I'm sure I would have thrown a roll in, but ow that you mention it, I'm going to be throwing in a whole 8 pack of paper towel in the back. I probably should put something over the back just in case a cat pees there. We're going to put a barrier between the very back and the back seat (we have an SUV), so the cats can hang out in the back, with a litter box and water, and have their kennels to go in if they want, I'm hoping that'll be less stressful for them. Caeda will be in the back seat, not sure if we're going to crate her yet, she seems to be relatively happy hanging out in the back seat for our trips into town. We'll be brining some kongs and kong stuffing, etc, maybe give her a bully stick or two. I'm thinking we'll probably feed a bit less than normal, partially since she'll be getting less exercise.
I like the idea of stopping for a hike, at very least every second day, us humans will need it too!

Oh, and an update, just had my phone interview, so long as I pass the physical it definitely looks like I have the job :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would consider having Caeda in a crate or seatbelted. You never know when some fool is going to cut you off and doing 100 kl/60 m per hour, your dog becomes a profectile object. Just much safer for you and the dog. We traveled 3000 kl with our Springer and she was great. She slept most of the time and pottied whenever we did.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
We actually packed stuffed, frozen kongs the first time we made the long drive (kept them in our cooler - DEFINITELY recommend a cooler for human and animal stuff!) and no one touched them LOL. So we didn't to it the next time :p

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I haven't moved THAT far with my cats -- but I have moved with them, and the first time I drove them a long distance to the new place, I gave them a sedative. I would never do that again. The cat that I wanted sedated for the drive was stoned but still screamed the entire way. The cat I wanted a little mellow because he panicks in new places was gonked out of his gourd. I was worried about both of them the entire time. I realized it's better for them just to be upset and me knowing they're ok, they're safe, they're just upset, then being worried about what effect the sedative has on them.

For a long distance trip - I'd plan out in advance where you're going to be staying overnight to make sure you can find pet friendly places.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We do usually keep Caeda harnessed in the car (except short trips while in town), I'm considering making or buying a better harness for her that will be more comfortable....the one she has now tends to twist up pretty uncomfortably, also I'm considering getting one of those hammock setups as well for her. I figure it might keep stuff in the back foot-well a little safer from her and she might be more comfy (plus it will better contain any barf, if it happens!).

Good point on the sedatives Hambonez.....I'll probably just stick with the calming collars for the two cats (they've had them both on before, one gets really dozy, the other one is slightly less of a spaz). Worst thing that could happen is it'll be a waste of a couple of $$. I'm considering one for Caeda as well, though she hasn't had one before its way easier to tell how she is doing than the cats....if they are screaming they could be scared, hungry, bored, want cuddles, mice, um....yeah lol.

I'm hoping setting the cats up in the back with litter box and such will keep their stress a little lower, I KNOW they hate their little kennels. Added bonus, I highly suspect that we have a mouse in our car....maybe they'll find it :D I'm also thinking about setting up an inverter in the back so I can run a small fan since there's no actual fan in the very back for the AC (here's hoping the AC works the whole way!! Yikes!).

As for places to stay, we're seriously considering camping since there's no question: Pet friendly with leashes, we're going to look for hotels along the way that are pet friendly too so we have options depending on if we make it further (or not as far) as expected on a given day.

ACK I'm so stressed and its not even official yet that its happening.....but if I don't plan and its happening I'll be caught with my pants down!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts