Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title said, this may be a stupid question.

In my struggle to find the source of Mumble's itching, I'm treating him as though he might have phantom fleas while also assuming it could be a food allergy. The ingredient I'm trying to limit right now is chicken.

He's on a chicken-free kibble, but I also occasionally mix in canned food. The canned I'm using right now is chicken-free, but I just noticed it does list egg as an ingredient.

So, if he's allergic to chicken, would egg set him off as well? It seems like a stupid question, because eggs eventually turn into chickens so they're probably a lot alike, but maybe they're different enough?

Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have heard that some dogs have a sensitivity to eggs too (if they have problems with chicken). It's definitely possible.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My understanding is that these are two separate allergies. But does his kibble have egg or egg product or lecithin? Many kibbles do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, dogs allergic to chicken will be allergic to eggs, duck, turkey and any type fowl. Mine are. I worked for a dermatology vet, and chicken was the number one allergy problem. Mine are also allergic to pork, but not beef or fish. I feed venison and sweet potato, mainly Natural Balance, it's a limited ingredient diet. My dogs had a lot of gas with the lamb and rice, so we avoid that. I also make my own treats, because the market is flooded with egg and chicken recipes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts