Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I hope it works out for you!!! I understand the concern regarding bad hips. When we adopted Bandit, I was sure he had terrible hips, his back legs looked soooo straight and stiff all the time. Well, as he put on weight and gained muscle tone from plenty of exercise, his back end started to look better and better! That may very well be the case with your guy as well - but a great idea to get the hips checked beforehand!

Fingers crossed for both of you! :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Home check on Sunday. I'm nervous, I don't know why, there isn't anything here or about the house that isn't fine for dogs to live in. But, I am still nervous.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
No need to be nervous Mel, they are not looking to fail people they want successes with their adoptions. They just check for things like fenced yards, if you stated you had one. If not, that you will have a proper way to keep the dog safe and contained etc....
You don't have to worry that they are looking to see that you dusted... they don't care about that. They just want to see a safe environment for a dog. :) Good luck! I can't wait to see picture of you guys snuggled up together at your home. ;)
If all goes well on Sunday, does he stay with you then?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
You don't have to worry that they are looking to see that you dusted... they don't care about that.
Thank god! I would never be allowed to adopt a dog if they cared about dust. We live next to a horse farm with a training track that gets raked a couple of times a day. We have dust on everything - even on Poca!

Good luck with the visit, Mel. I'm sure it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well, the home visit went well. It was quick, like 10 minutes. She is going to write up the home visit or whatever and send it the rescue and then hopefully I can the final approval:) If I do he will come home probably on friday!

I did clean, and set up a dog crate for him and . . . well I think it looked like a good dog home, I know my current 2 seem to think it is.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm glad it went well and I hope the rest goes just as smoothly!

Of course I totally expect a bunch of pics if/when you get him :)

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Wonderful, Mel! He has a darling face and sounds like a real sweetheart. That's great news regarding his hips and elbows, for his sake even if you weren't keeping him.

Good luck with the adoption process! Can't wait til it's official!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Congratulations! He is a handsome fellow, and certainly deserves some people of his own who will be good to him! I've a weakness for GSDs (and Dobes, too), so stay away from shelters, rescues, and any websites, cuz I'd be stupid, eventually, and bring one home! (4 is enough!)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks everyone:)

I normally stay away from rescue websites as well poodleholic, but my coworker is a foster mom and brings them to work. Its so much harder to say no when you see them a few days a week, lol.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wow! Looks like you and Nash were very fortunate to find each other. I was so glad to read about his hips and elbows. I love his name and I think he's beautiful! Congratualtions!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Congratulations Mel.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I can't seem to find the cord to move pics from my camera to my computer, but as soon as I find it I will post some pictures of him at home! I think my cat may have stolen it . . .

Anyway, his first couple of days home are going fairly well. I actually think he is going to be a much easier dog than Lloyd was/is. He actually gets tired, although that may change as he gains weight. Lloyd can go for an 11 mile run (me on a bike) and then want to still play and play and play . . . I think he has an energizer battery in him somewhere. Nash has learned sit pretty well and he is automatically sitting at doors and the gate already, which is awesome. He seems to be mostly good in his crate, but today he broke out of it. I took Allie and Lloyd for their run and he was very upset that we left him behind. He has been fine if I leave all the dogs behind, but that time I guess he thought he should be going too. I came home to find him laying at the gate (to block the stairs) waiting for us.

He is EXCELLENT with children. He is so gentle with them, doesn't even knock them down at all. He is very mindful of where they are and where his body is so he doesn't knock them down. He loves kids, its really amazing how good he is. He just loves people in general too. We need to work on jumping, he tries to jump up to lick people's faces. He already is a lot better in just 2 days but still does it occasionally.

Today I took him to a couple of pet store to get some stuff and he did so good. We worked on sitting in that chaotic environment and did really well. He didn't bark at any other dogs, he would walk with me, if the other owners wanted he would sniff noses. Someone else was there with another shepherd that was freaking out and trying to go after everyone and every other dog. It is about 8 months, huge, way to big, and I know he was raising it to "protect the house". I sorta know the guy (he used to be a customer when I worked at a petstore) and when he got the pup I told him to get the dog out and get it socialized and he told me he was going to keep it in the house because he doesn't want it be friendly to other people or it wouldn't protect the house. Now he is trying to put it through petsmart's training program.

Anyway, he started coming towards us with his dog going nuts trying to go after Nash. I put Nash in a sit and stepped between them and just fed Nash little bits of treats and he just sat there. Alert, but he obeyed me and stayed put. I told the guy maybe we could chat another time without the dog there and he said that was probably a good idea and left. We also got some bitter apple spray and some bone he liked (double action chew or something like that). I got a ton of compliments on him, lots of people telling me he is a nice looking dog and he is so well mannered (he has actually come far in 2 days). I was so proud of him. One person asked me if he was from Czech lines and I told them I have no idea because he was a rescue. Lots of people were surprised he came from a rescue and I told them all you can find really nice dogs in rescue and shelters. I think we may have done some good in representing for rescue dogs today:)

I got Nash a no pull harness (easy walk). I am of course going to teach him to walk next to me, but in the mean time I need to be able to walk him. We also loaded the clicker today and worked on eye contact a bit. I am going to try to train him with much more positive training than I did with Lloyd. Lloyd was kinda trained with a combo of clicker and traditional if that makes any sense.

Later in the day, after the pet stores, we went to my parents house (Lloyd and Allie went yesterday). Again he was so very well behaved. The neighbors 3 little girls met him and my 1 year old niece was there and he was very gentle. My parents really liked him too, my sisters are both afraid of him even though he was licking everyone. I think its the pricked ears because they are afraid of Allie too but love Lloyd (who has floppy ears). The harness worked really well, he responds better to that than he was to a prong collar the rescue was using on him. I used the prong on him until I got this harness and I just don't think he is a dog that can handle a prong collar. He would turn and bite the leash. But on his flat (well martingale) collar he could nearly pull me down. I am very happy the harness is working.

He doesn't know not to chew on things, and I'm not sure if he is really well potty trained so inside he is tied to me or in his crate at all times. He gets kind of frustrated about it, but he will get used to it.

Allie and Lloyd are not happy about the new addition. Nash is a bit of a prick with other dogs sometimes. I think he just doesn't have very good dog manners. But he will do things like try to take a toy or bone from them, and shove them out of the way. So, I am redirecting him all the time to other things than being a jerk. Lloyd is especially upset about Nash being here. At daycare they played a lot, but having to share your owner is different.

Oh, on friday night when he first came home we spent about 2 hours introducing all the dogs. The house is kinda crazy right now as Amy and Sean are here for a few weeks with their dog Maggie. Right now there are 5 dogs in the house. What we did was took each dog individually on a walk with Nash. Then we did 2 at a time (making sure to get all the different combos of dogs), then 3 at a time and then when the 4 were all out with Nash they all went on a nice long walk together. We had Nash walk next to all the dogs (switching where he was in the "line up"). By the end of that walk they all seemed to have accepted him into the group.

Yikes, this got long, sorry! Pics coming as soon as I find that cord, promise!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts