Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . adding a third dog to the family. His name is currently Nash, if we get him it will probably be changed. He is a pretty sable German shepherd with an amazing temperament. I can't believe he is in rescue, his temperament really is amazing. Conformationally he isn't that great, but that is fine.

His story is that his owners didn't really want him anymore, so they put him on a chain the backyard and he lived there for awhile. Then they decided to stop feeding him because they didn't want him. Someone finally called AC on them he was very emaciated. So he went into the local pound there (Tennessee) and was there for a little bit.

The people there thought he was to sweet to be pts and contacted the rescue my coworker works with and they agreed to take him. But they couldn't get him for a couple more weeks, so he stayed in a vets office for 2 weeks. He still needs to gain some weight, probably another 10 pounds. They said he had already gained about 15 pounds from the time he was take from his owners until he ended up with my coworker. You can feel all of his ribs, spine and his hip bones are very visible.

Guessing by his teeth he is probably a year and a half, even though he looks younger. My coworker brought him to work and I fell in love. Lloyd and him are like new best friends, they love to play together. Allie seems to like him too although she won't play with him she will lay next to him at work and let him sniff her.

Yesterday Julie met him and we took him for a short walk around the block in the city. There was a party going on at one corner across the street from us. He simply looked and kept going. A group of motorcycles passed by us and he simply looked and kept going. We passed several people, he sniffed towards them and kept going. We passed some kids, he just sniffed and kept going. We passed skateboarders, he looked and kept going. We passed some dogs, he looked and did a little play bow but kept going when we said his name.

When we had first walked him away from my coworker he did the shepherd whiney thing and was very concerned about it, but dealt with it. I think it helped that he has known me for a week already. He knows sit and loves to chase the ball. He walked pretty good on the leash, only a little bit of pulling and by the end of our little walk he was doing really good. You can tell he isn't used to being on a leash though.

The rescue is going to x-ray his hips and that will be part of the deciding factor of whether we get him or not. We don't want to take on a dog with really bad hips. Sometimes he stands a bit funny in the back that makes me a bit concerned about his hips, although he has no problem jumping, running and standing up on his hind legs. It may just be his lack of muscle (he has very little muscle tone) that is making him seems so "loose" in the hips (i'm hoping anyway!).

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
What a very handsome boy!!!!!!! Very sad story.

Hope it works out for you and Nash!!!! Here's hoping Nash gets a happy ending. :D

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Reno:) I'm thinking he would be a rocking obedience dog, maybe agility too if his hips and elbows are all good for it! :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Awww... he is so handsom!! I hope everything works out and that you and Julie can take him home :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, we shall see. I was planning on purchases a GSD from a breeder in the next year or two (and still may in 2 + years) but this guy is pretty awesome:) My coworker said that at a meet and greet an older couple was interested in him that she said looked like they wouldn't even be able to walk him:( I would hope the rescue wouldn't adopt out a dog like him to people who couldn't handle him but . . . eek.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Aww, he is just gorgeous! I really, really hope you take him home. He looks like a sweetie.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, he got x-rayed today. His hips, knees and elbows are all perfect:) So now we have a week to make a decision!

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
:D :D :D :D

Good luck! Keep us posted! I got so excited when I saw you posted just now in this thread. He is a beauty for sure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What a handsome guy! Look at that face! Who could be so cruel to such a sweet heart?? Good luck, I hope he x-rays out fine and you can get him!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
That's terrific news about the x-rays! Best of luck with your decision, he's a total cutie and sounds just wonderful.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are sending the adoption application tomorrow! I'm sure we will be approved (well, we kinda already have been but still need to send in the application). If all goes as planned we will have him the beginning of June. We are going to keep his name (Nash) because at this point we are so used to calling him Nash. It fits him anyway.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Good to see his joints are ok :) I was going to say that most likely his issues are caused by lack of muscle tone, so as he gains strength he should be fine.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yay! Congratulations on the new addition. I was hoping it would work out for you. Can't wait to hear when it's made official.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
oh I am so happy for you melgrj7, I hope it is a done deal very soon. He is a handsome boy. I am glad he has good hips, elbows and knees. What a relief. :) I had a Rottie girl that I took in a few years back I would have sworn she was dysplastic by how she moved. Turned out once all her bruises and wounds heeled she was fine. x-rays showed excellent hips. They can fool you. I can't wait to hear it is official. :)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Inga:) I hope everything goes smoothly in the adoption process. We are already noticing him moving better at work now that he is getting some muscle (and weight) and his pads have hardened up.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts