Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so upset and lost right now I just don't know what to do with myself. I haven't stopped cyring for four hours now and I just don't know what to do.

This weekend I went to my parent's house to meet their new dog. I had to leave Max with my aunt who has watched him before. She is a really really really messy person but she has kept him several times before with no incidents. So she asked me to drop him off Friday evening and she'd be back by 9. So I left him at her house at 7:30. Apparently at some point he found a lunch sack or something that she'd left out (and I didn't see) and ate a fiber bar and it's wrapper, Craisens (dehydrated cranberries) and their wrapper, a Sweet-n-low wrapper (no sweet-n-low inside the packet though) and, here's the awful part, some ibuprofen. She said she came home and saw most of the ibuprofen scattered on the floor and wasn't sure if he ate any. She didn't call me because I guess she was afraid of what I'd say. He threw up overnight so the next morning she took him to the e-vet.

The put him on fluids and stuff and then she finally told me. They said the general procedure is the keep the dog on fluids and observation for 48 hours but that he appeared mostly OK aside from some vomiting which could have been caused by the other crap he ate. So when after 24 hours they said his bloodwork was fine and if I wanted I could take him home (though they advised me that 48 hours is the standard) I did. He seemed exhausted and a little out of it but I was told he hadn't slept the entire time he was there. I gave him a bland dinner that night and he seemed OK. But then three hours later he threw it up. And then threw up again.

I took him to my vet as soon as they opened and they said they'd put him on fluids and then do his blood panel in the afternoon. To our surprise it came out that his kidney levels had gotten a little higher which is NOT a good sign. Renal/kidney failure is one of the potential side effects of ibuprofen ingestion. I took him back to the e-vet. Unfortunately they had no idea what the prognosis is really. On the one hand his kidney levels aren't super high, but there is still some kidney damage at this point. It could reverse and he could get better, or it could stay the same and his quality of life would be fine but his life-span will probably be shorter, or he could go into renal failure and die. He is also showing some signs of dehydration though he wasn't this morning.

I feel absolutely sick. I don't know how I'm supposed to function like this. He was supposed to come home tonight. I thought he would be fine. Now I don't know what will happen at all and I'm so scared, so so scared. Please pray for Max for me. He's my best friend and I just cannot fathom losing him.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
(((HUGS))) Fingers and toes crossed that he pulls out okay. I can't even imagine what you're going through. :( Sending him loads and loads of healing vibes...I'll be keeping you and Max in my prayers. Try and stay positive and keep us posted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Lots of comforting and healing thoughts for you and Max! I am so very sorry that you have to go through this but stay as positive as you can for Max's sake. You know he doesn't want his mommy to worry. He'll be home giving kisses soon!!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
(((hugs)))...we'll be thinking of you here and hoping Max is better and home soon.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Oh no! You and Max will be in my thoughts. Get well soon, Max, you strong, sweet boy!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sending positive thoughts to both Max and you.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I am hoping for the best and keeping you and MAX in my thoughts. Gosh, I hope he okay! What a nightmare. Positive energy YOUR WAY!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Oh my god! Lots of prayers and good vibes coming from us! ((((Hugs)))

1 - 20 of 92 Posts