Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iorek has started getting mats between his toes on his front feet. it is not between every toe, just the same 2 toes on both feet. i don't know why he could be getting them there. it seems like a very strange place to get mats to me. i cut one out a few months ago and now he has one on each foot. what can i do to prevent them? his fur is not super long on his feet. i can't exactly brush between his toes :p or at least he wouldn't like me to!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
You can get it shaved off or very short(the fur in between his toes) if you can't cut it really close with scissors.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm... there are no groomers where we live. i wonder if i would be able to cut it really close myself...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I had to do that with Pepper, she was forever getting mats around her butt and toes so I just cut it really short with a pair of small scissors inbetween her going to the groomer.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It's a common place for mats on longer haired dogs. Afghans and cockers get them commonly. You can take a comb and comb betten the toes semi often, cut them out when they occur, or go drastic and go for poodle feet, shaved as close as possible removing the hair between the toes closely as well.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yeah, Cara and Mia get them all the time. I just cut them out. I trim the feet between pads to prevent mats.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice. :)

iorek is not a huge fan of getting his feet touched but i think that with enough yummy treats my husband should be able to distract him long enough for me to cut out the mats and keep the fur combed out there often enough.

i don't think that i could shave his feet, that would look really silly on a samoyed! :p heehee!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I bought the greatest little battery operated clipper for under $12. at Walmart 2 years ago. It comes with a couple of little combs, oil and brush to clean it. It's perfect for shaving the hair between Molly's pads, between her eyes, and the most important - for a sanitary clip ;) I use 15 minute rechargeable batteries. It's so much faster and efficient than scissors and super cheap. The blade is only about an inch wide.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Matting between the toes is very common. I would use a clipper and not a scissor to cut out matting. You always take a risk of cutting a dog with scissors. I picked up a small clipper at my local target made by conair ( i think) I love it and it was only $16. I use it on my dogs feet/by her ears/on the bridge of her nose.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since i used to be a hairstylist i still have all my gear. i have a tiny little trimmer (about 1 inch wide) that i can use. i will try that :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts