Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Marty new foster boy

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Amaryllis 
#1 ·
So the miraculously fast adoption that WAS going to keep me from bothering to make Marty his own foster thread fell through. They backed out for some reason. I kinda always expect things to not work out and not get my hopes too high but damn... they seems SO excited about adopting him that I didn't really see that coming. Oh well, just suck it up and move on.

Marty is an adorable houndy boy, about a year old with zero manners when I brought him home just over 2 weeks ago. He's listed as a Redbone coonhound mix which I could buy he has some redbone in him, I'm thinking some black mouth cur in there as well. He's just a bit taller than Jubel, so maybe 20-21", and I'd guess around 50 lbs. Incredibly sweet boy who LOVES everyone.

Link to thread I started when I first brought crazy dog home. He's doing much better now. Still annoying Jubel but at a much more manageable level.

Doesn't really seem to know what to do with most toys. Seems interested just not sure what to do. He loves tug, very uncertain about squeakers, likes the plush toys but I think given time would destroy them, nylabones are good. Jubel is his play thing of choice much to Jubel's displeasure. They are starting to work it out a bit but Marty still always pushes it too far. Jubel is giving in to the relentless "play with me!!!111!!1!!" but I have to play interference to keep Marty in line and frequently remove Marty from the situation to chill out.

Horrible on leash, sometimes decides he MUST jump on and "play" with Jubel mid-walk. He wasn't that bad when I brought him home, he's getting worse. Just ordered a Harness Lead harness (thanks InkedMarie for the suggestion) which should arrive tomorrow and hopefully that will help. And after week one he decided he likes the taste of his own poop... so that's fun.

Training so far we've solidified his Sit and Down (still needs work on fading treats), introduced Wait (sit and wait for release for food, putting down water bowl, other life rewards). He's starting to develop a default Sit behavior which is nice. Just started working on Paw and Spin last night, it started to click pretty fast. Very food motivated, starting to understand this impulse control idea, seems pretty smart just no one really took much time to work with him before.

His settling in the house outside the crate has really come leaps and bound in only 2 weeks so I'm proud of him for that. The two big things right now are house training and finding other means of entertainment than harassing Jubel.

On to pictures.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

See less See more
#6 ·
He is beautiful, I can believe that family wanted him on the spot.

Any hints on getting a brat to play nice with resident dog? Bucky is great at the local dog run with larger dogs but Ginger isn't a wrestler. She'd love to play chase except he gets really excited and starts sliming, bouncing and humping. He will call off and the crate is always ready for time outs but anything? Ginger is desperate.

#7 ·
Not really. Jubel is a rough player who prefers to wrestle to anything else. Issue is Marty doesn't understand corrections. He's too over the top physical and Jubel corrects him for it...Marty thinks that's great fun and bounces around, play bows, paws at his face, and/or takes flying leaps at Jubel. So I have to back up Jubel's corrections and grab Marty and pull him away from Jubel. Problem with that now that Jubel is somewhat interested in playing with Marty is that Jubel views it as me double teaming with him. So he runs back in but expects me to continue holding and handicapping Marty. Not the way I want to spend my evening.

Mostly I'm just interrupting, giving time outs when he just won't stop, and I think he's noticing Jubel plays with him more when he just brings it down a few levels. All of it coming together I think. I would NOT take Marty to a dog park. He isn't aggressive at all but I can see his rude behavior and lack of proper response to corrections causing big trouble.

#8 ·
Aw he's gorgeous. That's too bad that the adoption fell through. I'm sure he'll find a good home. You're doing a great job with him!

#11 ·
Drat! Every once in a while there is a tweak or a revelation that solves stuff.

Ginger gets extremely disapproving and freezes but he doesn't notice. At the dog run he did zoom a little further away from the one dog that grumbled at him when he was too close to The Ball but big dogs haven't minded him so far. He does pester until dogs play with him, not good.

I'm hoping a lot of this is being new and he definitely has calmed down over the past month. Getting to run with dogs has made him forget how to act with Ginger though so more timeouts are happening this week than last week. I suspect that although he isn't showing obvious stress signs he is partly acting out due to nervousness.

Great photos of Marty, what is Jubel yelling about when Marty is all whale eyed on your lap?

#12 ·
He's so cuddly, that's adorable!
Sounds like he has some exuberant issues, though I imagine they'll fade with time and consistence, that doesn't really help the right now haha

#13 ·
Haha, Jubel is a whiny bitch who will demand bark about pretty much anything. Can't remember what he was barking about in that picture but he thought it was time for something most likely. That something could be walk, food, refill water, go to bed, or just because he likes to bark.

Marty was just a bit confused because he could tell Jubel was barking at me and not him but didn't understand what was happening. Marty was being good and settling so lots of good boys for him. I think the praise from me and the barking from Jubel was just strange to him.

#15 ·
New harness from Harness Lead arrived today and my brother just got back from Marty's first walk in the harness, he reported it a great success. Very happy about that and hope it remains as an effective tool.

#16 ·
So I've been looking for my chuck it balls for about two weeks to see what Marty thinks. Finally found them today after much struggle haha. It appears Marty is in love. He was conflicted about leaving them for a walk, had to be tricked into leaving them for dinner and raced back upstairs after he'd emptied his food dispensing toy to get back to the chuck it balls. Happy as can be to just chew on them, enjoys me bouncing them around across the room to chase. Really thinks the one Jubel has is the best, steals it anytime Jubel lets it go. Jubel is unconcerned over which ball he has so he just goes and picks up the other ball if he still wants to chew. Repeat a few times. Jubel was over the rediscovery of the balls as soon as walk time arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if Marty plays with them for the rest of the evening haha.

#17 ·
Returned from my vacation to find Marty has an application again. Exchanged some emails with the potential adopters today and find that I did meet them myself the week prior and liked them. They sound like a good match for him. My biggest concern is they have a cat. Marty is very interested in the kitties we see on walks but I haven't seen any aggression in any form from him about anything. I'm sure he'll be overly interested and probably inappropriate but they are ready and willing to work with him. As long as he doesn't completely lose his mind around the cat I think he'll get it and learn to live in peace with the cat.

They also have a 9 year old golden boy who met him last weekend while I was away. They got along well enough. They did get to see Marty pushing limits, getting corrected and thinking it was all great fun. So they know they will need to manage them somewhat until Marty learns some manners and/or figures out corrections mean "back off" not "oh what fun we're having".

If all goes well he will go home with them this weekend. Fingers crossed he isn't a terror to their cat and gets to stay.

#18 ·
Marty is officially approved for adoption and goes home on Wednesday. The crate they ordered hasn't arrived hence the wait until Wednesday. Fingers crossed he can learn to behave in a home with a cat. I'm still shocked he was adopted so fast but happy. I guess the power of an adorable dog who loves everyone he meets is pretty strong. Hard for a lot of people to resist that dog who melts into you at first meeting and wants nothing more than to make as much body contact with you while being pet with both hands. Makes you feel special...even after being told he does this to anyone who will let him, they all still feel special.

Adorable update, Marty created his own puzzle game. The other night Marty was flinging the ball around like the spas he is, the ball bounces on the couch and ends up in the cup holder. Marty then spends 10+ minutes trying to get the ball back out. Fast forward to last night and I watch Marty very purposely take the ball, stand over the cup holder and drop the ball inside. Then proceed to try and get it back. I'm on my iPad so the link is to the mobile version, if you are having trouble just search for my YouTube channel Myjubelboy and you'll find the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sskWaobOtqo

#22 ·
Can tell he's got some pep in his step just from looking at him, but very handsome. Hopefully everything works out for him. Why was there no cat testing beforehand to see how he is with them in the home?

#23 ·
This group doesn't seem to do cat tests unless I guess the foster has a cat themselves (or maybe access to a dog savvy cat). They sent me a quick update last night a few hours after they got him home... He's scared of the cat. I hadn't really expected that response but really it's probably for the best. He'll get over being scared but hopefully keep some of that respect for the cat and not have any really issues.

He was excitedly exploring the new home and the other dog was following him around wondering what was so exciting and not wanting to miss out. At the time they messaged me they said Marty had settled down and was chewing on a nylabone. Sounds like a good start at least.

#24 ·
Emailed his adopters this morning for a quick update now that he's been with them for a week. He's doing great and they are very happy with him. Gotten over being scared of the cat quickly as expected, he wants to play with her but is doing good about leaving her alone for the most part. Doing well with the older dog as well. A few accidents but they think they are figuring out his schedule and should improve there. They love how affectionate and snuggly he is and he's doing good at settling from the start. Very happy to hear he's being a good boy and how happy they are with him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.