Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I use all fabric martingales and limited slip collars. I like the limited hardware on them. They are for use with a leash only. At all times they have a tag collar that slips over their heads for ID tags.

Most people don't adjust a regular collar tight enough as that looks like dog is choking so dog can back out. With a martingale/limited slip you can adjust it very snug when pulled shut but it looks comfortable when dog isn't pulling.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Except for when we are doing something that requires the leash/line to be attached to a harness (Parkour, nosework, or tracking), a martingale is all I use. One dog has a nylon collar with a chain loop, and the other dog’s collar is all nylon. Their tags are attached to their regular collars.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
One of my dogs has a neck that's the same thickness as her head, and the other one has no ears to speak of, so they both wear martingales. More convenient than harnesses and not as easy to slip out of as a regular collar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my dogs has a neck that's the same thickness as her head, and the other one has no ears to speak of, so they both wear martingales. More convenient than harnesses and not as easy to slip out of as a regular collar.
LOL sounds about right!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have used Martingales for years on my Collies. They split the difference between a choke collar and a regular nylon collar allowing increased control over the latter. You have to be careful with the adjustment as the dog can slip out in certain situations if fitted too loose. Overall very satisfied.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Generally speaking, I use Martingales for my dogs. I'm just lazy, they're easy to pull on and off. We do use flat collars for herding lessons.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I use martingales sometimes, but it depends on the dog.

I also see way too many people who don't use them properly. They should be snug around the smallest part of the dogs' neck when the loop/chain is pulled tight., but a lot of people I see using them size them to barely fit around the neck at the biggest, and to immediately put pressure on the neck if there is any tension on the leash/collar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used them for my larger dogs my sons pit would snap a regular collar he pulled quit heavily and my old Great Dane mix would slip out of hers all the time I love the martingales no issues with them at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use martingales sometimes, but it depends on the dog.

I also see way too many people who don't use them properly. They should be snug around the smallest part of the dogs' neck when the loop/chain is pulled tight., but a lot of people I see using them size them to barely fit around the neck at the biggest, and to immediately put pressure on the neck if there is any tension on the leash/collar.
Ok so that's also where my confusion lies, I received my collar in the mail yesterday and I immediately sized it to what would fit him kind of snug. but what you are saying is to leave it kind of loosened and to only have it fit snug the underside of his neck, correct?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Ok so that's also where my confusion lies, I received my collar in the mail yesterday and I immediately sized it to what would fit him kind of snug. but what you are saying is to leave it kind of loosened and to only have it fit snug the underside of his neck, correct?
I just bought a martingale collar for the first time last weekend and am also confused about how to fit it properly. The instructions that came with it said to adjust the collar so you can fit your whole hand underneath. When I do that though I can't slip it on/off Kane's head at all and also when he pulls it's just way too tight for my liking.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Loosen it up so you can just barely take it off. So long as he cannot back out it is working as designed.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Adjusted to where it would just be tight enough to not slip off over her head when tightened, but could be taken off when loose.

2017-6-12 Ilka DSC_0646 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

If need be, you can loosen it to put it on and take it off, and then tighten it up properly while wearing it. I've seen some that have a snap buckle, so that you don't need to do that, but to be honest, I don't really trust those buckles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They’re best for dogs whose head is close to their neck size to prevent a collar slipping off or fearful dogs that back up when scared on leash (Ex: Greyhound or Pit Bull type dogs)
When it’s tightened, it should go just about perfectly around the dogs neck. If the dog pulls on the leash it should not be so tight that it chokes them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used martingale collar for my dog when we walking or even when I want training my dog. That collar doén't make dog hurt like prong collar. When my dog pulls, the collar will automatically get tighter around their neck, correcting their moves without choking them. I used this collar, Country brook petz martingale heavy duty nylon collar, sizes between 18 inch and 26 inch neck and this collar is also made of stainless steel. It has a lot martingale collar, I read review in dogtelligent before buying. If you interested in that collar you can read in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.