Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

martingale collars?

1374 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Namrah
The trainer in Dakota's class wants everyone to have a martingale collar on their dog. How are these collars?? She said to take her into the pet store [should be fun] and have them find one that fits right. By the way, she did fairly well and I thought she had alot of energy until I saw a chocolate lab female that was 3 years old and WOW!! she couldn't sit still at all:eek:
1 - 2 of 12 Posts
Martingales are great for your dog's daily wear on walks, especially on dogs that are crafty at escaping collars.

You may find both the cloth loop and metal looped types at your store.

It's a matter of preference, but I find the action on the metal type much smoother, and for some dogs the chain noise adds a warning.
See less See more
Is a mrtingale collar one that tightens around the dogs neck when the pull away?

i think that would still hurt the dog ... if your dog goes spastic on it .... i would not use it .... i tried a similar thing on my lab/collie when he was 4 months old and he went spastic ..... i never used it again
The action is limited, so it should not choke off the dog's air supply at full closure. And some dogs do need to be conditioned to the collar to prevent spastic behavior, but not many.
1 - 2 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.