Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for being full of questions this morning... :sorry:

We currently have a rather narrow martingale with a buckle. We'd like to get a wider martingale (thinking it will be more comfortable); however, most of them are the more traditional slip-on style.

Once adjusted properly, are the slip-on style collars difficult to use? Do your dogs balk at slipping something over their heads?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can I ask a question about martingales also please? How do you fit them correctly?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
This is an awesome place to get a martingale collar ... in different widths also ... www.2houndsdesign.com

Here is Abbylynns ... I chose a 2 inch width collar for her as she is pretty strong.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an awesome place to get a martingale collar ... in different widths also ... www.2houndsdesign.com

Here is Abbylynns ... I chose a 2 inch width collar for her as she is petty strong.
Gorgeous collar - I've been looking at 2hound's designs longingly :)

Is Abbylynn's a slip-on? Do you have difficulty with it? Is it hard to put on?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I love Busters martingale collars. With the cloth collars (like the 2HD Abbylynn posted), I hold it open and he sticks his head in. I make sure both ears make it through (sometimes he gets silly right at the last second and the collar ends up in front of one ear), clip the leash on and out we go. Buster also has a heavier biothane martingale. He's fine with it once its on but he hasnt shoved his head into it the way he does the cloth ones...yet. Its a lot heavier and the chain closure rattles around making noise.

I have not tried a buckle martingale with Buster. Probably not a big issue with a smaller dog but with a dog that can bend the metal hardware on 2HD collars (rated for 1100lbs of pressure), the buckle is a weak point and too much of a risk.

I fit his collars so they are snug when the control loop is pulled tight. Not so tight the collar chokes him, but snug enough that he cant slip it when he gets excited or if he spooks. This still allows the collar to slip over his head without any issues.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Gorgeous collar - I've been looking at 2hound's designs longingly :)

Is Abbylynn's a slip-on? Do you have difficulty with it? Is it hard to put on?
Thank you!

It is a slip-on. I have no difficulty with it. I just hold it open and slip it right over her head. If Abbylynn tries to pull and it tightens I just place two fingers under it and loosen it when she quits her antics ... even though I know she is not actually choking! Lol! :)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I prefer martingale's that buckle; I get mine from Yellow Snow Dog Gear. On the site, the widest is one inch, I think but I've heard they will special make orders.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Abbylynn & LuvMyAngels! Good information.

InkedMarie - Thanks for the recommendation. No reason a spoiled pup can't have several collars :) Have you tried the harnesses from Yellow Snow Dog? Katie and I were just out, with her desperately trying to follow the scent of a neighborhood deer. A harness wouldn't be such a bad thing for her.

LuvMyAngels - Your pictures of Buster always make me smile. We almost adopted a Saint named Buster, but it didn't work out (long story).

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Thanks Abbylynn & LuvMyAngels! Good information.

InkedMarie - Thanks for the recommendation. No reason a spoiled pup can't have several collars :) Have you tried the harnesses from Yellow Snow Dog? Katie and I were just out, with her desperately trying to follow the scent of a neighborhood deer. A harness wouldn't be such a bad thing for her.

LuvMyAngels - Your pictures of Buster always make me smile. We almost adopted a Saint named Buster, but it didn't work out (long story).
No, I have not. We use front hook, no pull harnesses from Soft Touch Concepts (Sense ible and sense ation harnesses)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
2houndsdesign.com hands down. best collars every made. customization is spot on.
I did not know they offered buckle martingales!!! A little costly (at least IMO compared to what I usually buy) but they have Christmas ones!!!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I dislike buckles because of the excitement of young dogs jumping around and acting like total idiots while I'm trying to buckle their collars. A properly adjusted Marti slips over head much easier, then add to the sometimes breaking of the plastic buckles and to me it's a no-brainer. I like easy.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I dislike buckles because of the excitement of young dogs jumping around and acting like total idiots while I'm trying to buckle their collars. A properly adjusted Marti slips over head much easier, then add to the sometimes breaking of the plastic buckles and to me it's a no-brainer. I like easy.
My brittany is an excitable young dog but it's easier to just buckle it then put it over her head. For my other dog (can see him in my sig), he has a big head and I'd have to open a non-buckle martingale to get it over his head, re adjust it and go. For me, easier to just buckle it.
WVasko, I like you being retired and posting more! How's Pierce doing? Who;s the GSD in your avatar?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for all the comments.

I find it easy enough to put on Katie's buckle collar, but she does back away from the easy walk (I think it may rub her armpits). Lately I've been sticking a treat through the opening and then slipping it on her.

My brittany is an excitable young dog but it's easier to just buckle it then put it over her head. For my other dog (can see him in my sig), he has a big head and I'd have to open a non-buckle martingale to get it over his head, re adjust it and go. For me, easier to just buckle it.
WVasko, I like you being retired and posting more! How's Pierce doing? Who;s the GSD in your avatar?
I agree! I love WVasko's posts. Always the voice of reason.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Thank you for retirement wishes. The dog in picture is the one and only "Wvasko" The very, very, very, best-est GSD I had the great fortune to be partnered with as I traveled through the world of dogs. Never bred because of mild hip dysplasia.

Purchased at 9 months of age a wild woolly creature with courage and discretion on who should or who should not be bit. At 11 years of age the back end went out completely and he was PTSed at home by a Vet that knew him and made the trip just a tad easier for the old rascal. (nicer to die at home)

Pierce's health so far so good no more fits since the 1st one. His travels to the land of civility is slowly but surely proceeding according to our plans and we are now working on recalls inside our 40,000 sq ft (approximately) compound area. He can now be turned loose for duty purposes from home and after 5 minutes or so is asked to get his butt back to house and he graces us with his presence.

Now rest assured we will not be discussing how he was coaxed for the recall but when he gets in the home he gets his favorite Zuke's treats.

He is anywhere from 2 to 6 months away, cause there is no hurry with this silly but needed recall stuff. Much different from the call him and he stands 200 ft away looking at you with an insane grin on his boxer face. When you get the grin you know there is no power on earth that particular day that will get his butt home till he wants to.

Oh and he has not knocked me down the last 4 months so My body is feeling better.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for retirement wishes. The dog in picture is the one and only "Wvasko" The very, very, very, best-est GSD I had the great fortune to be partnered with as I traveled through the world of dogs. Never bred because of mild hip dysplasia.

Purchased at 9 months of age a wild woolly creature with courage and discretion on who should or who should not be bit. At 11 years of age the back end went out completely and he was PTSed at home by a Vet that knew him and made the trip just a tad easier for the old rascal. (nicer to die at home)

Pierce's health so far so good no more fits since the 1st one. His travels to the land of civility is slowly but surely proceeding according to our plans and we are now working on recalls inside our 40,000 sq ft (approximately) compound area. He can now be turned loose for duty purposes from home and after 5 minutes or so is asked to get his butt back to house and he graces us with his presence.

Now rest assured we will not be discussing how he was coaxed for the recall but when he gets in the home he gets his favorite Zuke's treats.

He is anywhere from 2 to 6 months away, cause there is no hurry with this silly but needed recall stuff. Much different from the call him and he stands 200 ft away looking at you with an insane grin on his boxer face. When you get the grin you know there is no power on earth that particular day that will get his butt home till he wants to.

Oh and he has not knocked me down the last 4 months so My body is feeling better.
Thanks for the story of the one and only "Wvasko." Sounds like he was amazing. Pierce updates are always fun to read. Glad he's doing well.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well, we all have to go with our experiences. IME, I've never had the quick-release connection ("buckle") fail with a martingale. And that includes with a dog that as a new rescue literally pulled apart the metal swivel-snap on a highly rated leash as we were trying to train leash etiquette. *YMMV*

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I don't use martingales much, but I do use limited slip collars which are very similar and have never had a problem slipping them over their heads or had them object to me doing so. And I personally find them much easier to put on, honestly. I think you'll be fine either way.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well, we all have to go with our experiences. IME, I've never had the quick-release connection ("buckle") fail with a martingale. And that includes with a dog that as a new rescue literally pulled apart the metal swivel-snap on a highly rated leash as we were trying to train leash etiquette. *YMMV*
I agree with above, everybody should use what works for them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts