Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has used a Martingale collar, and what any opinions on them might be?

Are the safe to leave on for general use (ie unlike choke chains that have to be taken off).

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has used a Martingale collar, and what any opinions on them might be?
martingales are intended to prevent a dog from slipping it's collar. they were originally designed for greyhounds for that purpose because a greyhound's head is very very narrow and they can easily back out of a regular collar. they work well for other dogs for that purpose.

it is NOT meant to be a correction collar.

Are the safe to leave on for general use (ie unlike choke chains that have to be taken off).
no they are not.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I use them on my dogs. I like them, they can't slip out of them. They are not safe to leave on unattended though, if the dog gets caught on something it won't "break away". If you want a collar you can leave on the dog all the time I would get a break away type, they usually have a plastic buckle that comes apart easily if there is a lot of pressure on the collar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also like the Martingale, they are used as "training collars" but you can use them with the cgc testing, but none of the other AKC testings such as Therapy dog.. I like them alot better then Choke collars I really dispise them. I use the prong collars for my rottweilers when we go places where I feel I may need a little extra control, but normal walks I use a flat collar and sometimes the no pull harness.. My Aunt has my American Bulldog and she is still unable to walk him on anything other then a harness, but it works for her and he will heel with it on.

I also bought the Illusion collar from Ceaser Milan, it is actually a very good collar, no metal with the exception of where you clip the leash, it controls the dog from pulling without any type of pain... I wouldn't leave the Martingale on unattended. I personally like the collars that fasten like a belt, and not the ones that snap.. My dogs have broke so many of those by wrestling around.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Martingales are my preferred collar, especially if you can find one with a quick release. I would no leave ANY collar on a dog if he's left unattended.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Really? What if something happens and they get loose?
Well my dog has a secondary form of identification with her at all times, a microchip; frankly, I find the risk of her collar getting caught on something in my home greater than any risk of her getting loose. The microchip affords me at least some peace over that risk.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Well my dog has a secondary form of identification with her at all times, a microchip; frankly, I find the risk of her collar getting caught on something in my home greater than any risk of her getting loose. The microchip affords me at least some peace over that risk.
This is how I feel too. My dog wears nothing in the house. It's scary to think if he got loose then what, but I've recently had a few friends loose their dogs because they left their collars on them and the poor dogs choked to death. One of them had their dog attempt to jump their back fence and hung himself on their fence. Scary scary stuff.

He is microchipped and I know every vet and shelter in the area checks microchips when they first bring in a new animal. So I can only hope that they check for a microchip and he'll be returned home in a few hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts