Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is just devastated. She has tried so hard....she has kept those puppies in her room, with extra heat on so they stay warm, wakes up every few hours at night to check them, keeps watching their weight to make sure they are gaining.
The pups are/were three weeks on Friday. They have been eating well, growing, their eyes opened a few days ago, and they have been starting to wobble around.

Last night, when they went to feed before bed, the little brown one wouldnt latch on. She called the vet, who advised her to go buy some certain brand of puppy milk and a bottle, bottle feed the pup every few hours, and bring it straight in on Monday morning.

She stayed up all night, feeding it little bits all night long. This afternoon during its feeding time, it suckled a few times, screamed, jerked its body, and quit breathing.

These pups were a surprise (her daughter didnt follow directions about letting Marley outside for potty), but they were very much loved and my sister has put all she could into doing her best for them.

They are both precious puppies, but the little brown one was the one my son wanted so much on first sight:) he cried tonight.

I feel so bad. I know people say "its just a dog" or "these things happen" but this kind of thing has really hurt my sister, I feel so sorry for her. She's been sobbing all day. She says what makes it worse is that Marley keeps running frantically through the house, screaming and whining and looking everywhere for her baby. She doesnt know what to do to help Marley through this.

Tomorrow both the remaining pup and Marley back to the vet to check and make sure everything is still ok with them.

I wonder what could have happened for the puppy to die so quickly?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marley and Abbie (the remaining pup) went to the vet and were totally checked out today, and the vet said they are both very healthy and everything looks great. He thinks the little brown one (Allie) had a fast moving infection, from the symptoms described and how quickly she went downhill. They were so careful...removing shoes before entering house, scrubbing up to the elbows in soap before going in the puppies room.
Its such a sad thing, but Im so glad marley and abbie are ok! I was worried something might happen to her, too.

I explained to my kids, again, today that this, right here....is like reason 8,679,432 to not breed a pet dog! (even though these pups were not on purpose). And why we wont ever do that!! Aside from the billions of other reasons...my heart would break into tiny pieces when stuff like this happened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts