Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with adult dogs who are fully housetrained (at home anyways).

Will your dog try to mark (ie urinate) inside other people's houses (especially those that have dogs)? How did you teach them not to do this?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My guy tries to mark in the vet's office. He hikes a leg in the same spots where I assume a hundred other dogs have done the same. I just watch him like a hawk when we go to the dog doc's. The last time there, he only made one half-hearted attempt to mark.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have had a problem with the vets office as well. My male always shows a good deal of attention to a spot before he marks. Now I no longer allow needless sniffing indoors no matter where we are. I travel with my dogs often, and I don't want to worry about bringing Nature's Miracle everytime we stay in a hotel.:rolleyes:

Dusk has gotten much better about it. Its now very rare for him to sniff indoors with that deep look of concentration. And I'm sure you know that "look." But I'm very strict on what he is allowed to mark and how often. I refuse to stop every ten seconds on a walk just because this tree smells particularly good.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Yep. And the times we have moved. If you're Jack McCoy, you mark EVERY WHERE. We can't even take him to the pet store because he'll get something and douse it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Nope never had a problem. he goes to pet stores 2 or 3 times a week. never had a issue there. and I would kill him if he started marking in other peoples houses, since I take him so many places with me lol

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Nope, when we got Lloyd we not only potty trained him in our place but other places as well. He seems to have generalized the behavior of going potty outside only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts