Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Male dogs like to mark. I know this and am well aware of what can trigger marking behavior.

However, this new foster is stumping me on what to do. We believe he is a Rottweiler X (probably something smaller) and about 5 years old. He is neutered (was altered later in life, probably about 3 years old I think).

Rottie (creative name, right?) marked everything his first day and it hasn't stopped. He continues to mark inside whether he is supervised or not. I know he was kept outside only for several years, so I understand that he may not be conscious that he isn't suppose to. However, he was very easily house broken and does not have accidents in the house.

I instructed the foster parents to take him out every hour and don't go back inside until he has urinated and marked. He will pee, then mark every bush in the yard (that he marked an hour ago), go upstairs and mark again.

I have watched him for several days at a time (several times) and the behavior is the same in my home. He knows how to use my doggie door, and will willingly do so to eliminate but will come back inside and mark. I have tried not leaving him unsupervised and this has had no effect either. He will lift his leg on the couch your sitting on if he wants to. I have watched for cues and they are very subtle and much too quick to take him outside, down three flights of stairs.

What can I do and what should I tell the foster parents? He marked his dog bed tonight and they seem to have had enough with it now. How should they correct him for the behavior? What can they do to ensure he doesn't mark?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What are they doing when he marks in front of them? He doesn't need to be rushed outside, since it's just marking and he doesn't "need" to pee. He just needs to know he can't do it inside. When I brought Toby home from the shelter, he lifted his leg in the house once, I scolded him for it and he never did it again. . .I'm sure that I wouldn't have been that lucky with most dogs, lol.

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
I honestly have no idea what the best course of action is so these are just thoughts running through my head:
-Is it possible to keep him tethered/supervised at all times so you interrupt him before he marks? I know you said it's very quick, so it might be hard.
-Orrrr crate?
-Maybe it's the smell of other dogs in the house? Not sure what you'd do about that though.
-I hope you're able to get the smell off everything he's marked so far. I imagine if the scent is still there he'd be compelled to mark it again in the future.
-To be honest, if I were in that situation I would probably scold the dog too, because in my mind this is very different from using the bathroom on the house. I wouldn't yell or physically correct the dog, but maybe a sharp "Hey!" or something. Then again, I don't know if this behavior would just make him mark while no one is looking.
-I know equipment exists that physically prevents a dog from marking. It's supposed to wrap around like a diaper or something.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Yeah, a belly band might help. It at least would keep pee off of everything, and maybe feeling the wetness against his body would help him get the idea.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look into the "belly band". Rottie in all other respects is a very sensitive dog and even the slightest intonation in voice causes him to tumble onto his back. However, scolding has not had any effect on him with his marking. Everyone involved with him is kind of at a loss for what to do as well...

There is a lot of other dog scent in the house, which is why he is marking I'm sure. However, there is no way to get it 'out'. We do the best we can to clean up and deodorize when we notice he marked or see evidence.

Belly band it might just have to be! (as he is crated when no one is home and it is cruel to crate him all day/every day)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts