Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup Jackson was doing a great job for a long time with not peeing in the house. Last weekend he peed all over my guest blankets and I just caught him in the act of peeing on my kids chair. Is this marking? Or just bad behavior? Acting out bc I just got back from vacation again. My husband swears he takes him out so I dont know what the problem is. I cant afford to get him fixed right now...I was going to wait till he was a year old. Any tips to make him stop?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's both and not unusual in a dog coming in to adolescence. Just take away his house freedom and confine or tether him to you when you can't watch him 110% of the time. Take him out more often and temporarily give water on a schedule instead of just leaving it down so you have a better idea as to when he should need to go out.

And don't forget to thoroughly clean up any accidents with an enzyme cleaner to destroy the odor at the molecular level.

It's not unusual for dogs to seem to forget everything they know when going through adolescence. Just keep up with the training and be consistent and that good puppy will reappear one day,

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how long is this adolescence faze? I was told that the first year is the hardest. But wasnt expecting this because he was doing sooo well.:confused:

·
Registered
126 Posts
have you tried using a belly band while he is in teh house? it's a thing peice of material with velcro at each end, it wraps aroundhis belly covering up his boy bit. You can put a mini pad in there for absorbancy. If he were to pee/mark with the band he woudl only make himself wet which would make him uncomfortable, I mean noone really likes to pee on himself.
Quincy is housetrained and has been since he was about 8 months old, he is also neutered but when I take him into a strange home he will mark, so I only take him with a band on.

Even after he is neutered there is no guarantee he won't still mark, some do, some don't, but you shoudl for his own health and safety get him neutered asap.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to get him neutered but i wanted to wait till he was a year old but i just might have to get it done sooner.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Depending on the dog and breed the adolescent stage can last up to about 2 years more or less. That's way better than human kids where it lasts about 8 years (sometimes it seems to last forever). LOL

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh no skelaki I have two human kids as well ROFL...this is going to be a long couple of years of body fluids on my floor...lol

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Most puppies are not fully housebroken until they are a year old, especially the small breeds. You may be expecting too much too soon for your young man. No unsupervised free time unless he has JUST been out for a good pee and you are pretty sure he is "empty". Small dog bladders are, well, small and can fill up pretty quickly. Blankets, carpets and pillows/furniture are very comfortable places to urinate.

Now..if it IS marking behaviour (which I am skeptical of, but it CAN happen) it is often predicated by stress..so your vacation, guests or new people or dogs in the house etc can trigger a dog to mark. If you think this is the case (is he lifting his leg to pee yet? Have you SEEN him lift his leg and mark something?) then finding ways to calm him, exercise, training sessions and maybe a DAP diffuser can help. I would for sure not let him near the bedding or other areas he has "marked" without supervision..because like any other habit, good or bad, practice cements the behaviour. Make sure he cannot practice, continue to reward him heavily for going outside and have him crated or on umbilical leash unless you can be sure he is going to stay in your line of sight!

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Not all male dogs lift their legs, but most do once they hit sexual maturity, especially if marking. In fact, my female marks over other dogs and the difference between her "gotta pee" squat and her marking behaviour is the lifting of one leg as much as it is an awkward half squat/lift. She even once marked over her friend, Cassius the rottie's, urine by doing a complete handstand (bum up in the air) to mark up the tree he had peed on! The lift is about getting the urine HIGH on the object being marked..to let the other dog's think they are BIGGER than the other markers.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Most puppies are not fully housebroken until they are a year old, especially the small breeds. You may be expecting too much too soon for your young man. No unsupervised free time unless he has JUST been out for a good pee and you are pretty sure he is "empty". Small dog bladders are, well, small and can fill up pretty quickly. Blankets, carpets and pillows/furniture are very comfortable places to urinate.
Small dogs are just like big dogs. Some get housebroken faster than others. Small dogs have smaller bladders and they also drink less. The amount of liquid and bladder size is proportionate to their size. The only problem is owners don't treat their small dogs like bigger dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts