Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a going-on-5 months old French bulldog puppy, in addition to a 2 1/2 year old French bulldog and 2 cats.

Winston, the puppy, is manic for food. He goes crazy when I get his food bowl. He hoovers up his food in record time. He gulps down dog treats. If I let him run around the house without picking up other food bowls, he makes a bee-line to the cat food or the other dog's food, trying to snarf it down. He's not aggressive with me, as I can put my hand near or in his bowl.

Is there a way to train this behavior out of him? I make him sit before I give him his bowl or a treat, but he can barely sit still because he's just teeming with energy because he knows the food is coming. My only other recourse is to move the cat bowl to a location he can't get to and stop free-feeding my other dog, and feed the dogs in their respective crates at dinner time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You have a very good situation here. You're in control of one of his most important resources. Control that resource and you control the dog's behavior. You don't want to teach him to not be crazy about food, rather you want to use his craziness for food to your advantage. Teach him to REALLY work for food, not just sit for a split second, but to sit for 5 seconds and then 10 seconds. Then teach him to lay down when there's food on the floor, then teach him to lay down for 10, 20 seconds.

The way you do this is by removing the food if he gets up from a sit or down, teaching him that if he doesn't stay in position, food goes away. If he does stay in position for the set period of time, you give him the food. You'll want to start easy at first, say 2 seconds, then gradually work up to long term.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
A food loving dog is great from a training perspective, very easy to motivate them. I don't think you'd have much luck keeping Winston away from the cat food or Taters food, not without a lot of work if ever. I don't think I could ever get my boy to NOT eat food he could easily access without me being present to tell him "leave it." What you can do, and should, is what qingcong said and work on Winston's impulse control. Make him sit and wait for his food gradually increasing the amount of time, you can also ask for other behaviors you've taught him. Impulse control is great for their confidence and simply for teaching them to be well mannered as well. I'd strongly recommend placing the cat food out of reach and no free feeding for Tater.

Another thing you can do for Winston to slow his eating is to use dispensing toys for at least some of his meals. Slows them down as well as being mentally stimulating. My current favorite dispensing toys are the Bob-a-lot, the tricky ball, and the busy buddy kibble nibble ball.

·
Registered
869 Posts
A food loving dog is great from a training perspective, very easy to motivate them. I don't think you'd have much luck keeping Winston away from the cat food or Taters food, not without a lot of work if ever. I don't think I could ever get my boy to NOT eat food he could easily access without me being present to tell him "leave it." What you can do, and should, is what qingcong said and work on Winston's impulse control. Make him sit and wait for his food gradually increasing the amount of time, you can also ask for other behaviors you've taught him. Impulse control is great for their confidence and simply for teaching them to be well mannered as well. I'd strongly recommend placing the cat food out of reach and no free feeding for Tater.

Another thing you can do for Winston to slow his eating is to use dispensing toys for at least some of his meals. Slows them down as well as being mentally stimulating. My current favorite dispensing toys are the Bob-a-lot, the tricky ball, and the busy buddy kibble nibble ball.

Excellent suggestions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts