Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it contagious?

i was chatting with a neighbor today, and she told me her dog had mange. just wondering if it's contagious?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
It depends on what kind of mange. Demodex mange is not contagious, scarcoptic mange is.

i think it would be contagious to other dogs. it's a mite.
All dogs have demodectic mites on them. When the numbers grow out of control they cause demodex mange which results in hairloss in either a local area or in different places on the body.

The scarcoptic mite is actually spread from host to host. It burrows and lays eggs in the skin and causes red, scaley, scabby, itchy reaction.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awe crap.

:\

not sure what kind of mange she had. she just said that her dog was diagnosed with mange, and that it's common for bulldog puppies to get it.
:shrug:

i'm freaking praying it isn't contagious. stupid me forgot to wash my hands/body when i came back inside. :eek:

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
awe crap.

:\

not sure what kind of mange she had. she just said that her dog was diagnosed with mange, and that it's common for bulldog puppies to get it.
:shrug:

i'm freaking praying it isn't contagious. stupid me forgot to wash my hands/body when i came back inside. :eek:
If it's a pup, it's most likely D-mange, which is not contagious. Puppies with a weak or faulty immune system are prone to dmange.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sarcoptic mange--otherwise known as red mange....
CONTAGIOUS

Demodex mange--sometimes known as "puppy mange".......
NOT CONTAGIOUS....:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts