Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my dog (blue heeler/lab/pit mix about 6/7 months) early September. After I brought him home I noticed SEVERE itching, hair loss, and of course the bumps. I originally thought MANGE, however, I noticed something odd. All of this is on his legs, feet, and general lower body while his back and general face area/neck are completely fine and even growing beautiful shiny fur.
I brought him to the vet 2 days after we got him and was given 500 mg of cephalexin along with a steroid shot to help the itching. His poop at this time was pretty bad, it was basically just liquid. The shelter we adopted him from was feeding him science diet so they didnt think allergies at all. His itching got a little bit better, but no real improvement.
So we moved vets.
The next vet told us mange because puppies dont typically have allergies. By this point we had skin scraped my dog 6 times, all negative results. They prescribed another dose of Cephalexin 500 mg, 25 mg of hydroxyzine, dewormer liquid (white cream, not sure what its called), and lastly advantage multi. they told us to do all of these things 2 times a day and the mange would be gone. the advantage multi was once every 2 weeks and we've done that 4 times now. until about 2 weeks ago he was WONDERFUL!!! hair growing back, no itching, and even good looking poop. so we thought for sure it was mange.
HOWEVER, all of a sudden two weeks ago..it was like a light switch turned back on! he's still on the same meds, same everything, but something changed. he's been itching like the first time we got him again. cant sit still.

is this mange or am i a complete idiot for not seeing the signs that this is in fact some type of allergy? I called the vet and he told me its hands down an allergy since it worked but all of a sudden stopped but i just dont think we can completely eliminate mange. is advantage multi really sufficient enough to kill mange?

i was thinking about doing the allergy test but god almighty they are expensive! i also read that they can give you a false positive and therefore they can be helpless. this has got me so stressed out and i want to jump off of a building.
anyone know whats going on?!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What are you feeding him now? Did anything change 2 weeks ago when the "switch" flipped back on?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
You have been to two vets neither who have not solved your problem. I would seek out a dermotologist. In the long run you will save money and your sanity. Think about you have spent already and your pup is still having issues. One more thing how long was your pup consistently treated with the cephalexin 2 weeks, 4 weeks?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts