Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a toy Manchester Terrier and a cat? I have three cats and just adopted a 1 1/2 year old Terrier that the rescue organization said was cat friendly. But now I’m reading you should not have cats with this dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,681 Posts
Terriers in general have a significant prey drive, but we had a miniature schnauzer that regularly killed rabbits and squirrels but lived with two cats without issues. Our current shih-tzu/Jack Russel mix plays with cats who live at a doggy daycare.

It depends as much on the cat as it does on the dog. Cats who are accustomed to dogs often stand their ground. Cats who don't run away are no fun to chase. I had a very large black lab that loved to chase cats until he met my sister's cat who lived with four dogs. The cat refused to run away and my dog lost interest very quickly.

At the very least, you'll want to provide as escape plan for the cat - somewhere he can go to get away from the dog when he needs to. And I wouldn't leave them alone together - at least initially.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Agreed on the terrier prey drive.. I have a mini-schnauzer who spends time gazing out the window searching the frozen snow covered tundra for squirrels. He goes nuts when he eyeballs a squirrel.

At our previous home in China, he was familiar with a cat. He just wanted to play. All was good until the cat decided to run, glad I had him on a leash.

You likely won't be able to overcome the terrier prey drive. It is hard wired in them. At best you maybe able to disrupt his focus...…...big maybe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You don't say how the dog you adopted is doing with your cats. Are they getting along? If you'd never read what you did would you be worried?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Terriers in general have a significant prey drive, but we had a miniature schnauzer that regularly killed rabbits and squirrels but lived with two cats without issues. Our current shih-tzu/Jack Russel mix plays with cats who live at a doggy daycare.

It depends as much on the cat as it does on the dog. Cats who are accustomed to dogs often stand their ground. Cats who don't run away are no fun to chase. I had a very large black lab that loved to chase cats until he met my sister's cat who lived with four dogs. The cat refused to run away and my dog lost interest very quickly.

At the very least, you'll want to provide as escape plan for the cat - somewhere he can go to get away from the dog when he needs to. And I wouldn't leave them alone together - at least initially.
Thank you so much for your feedback. Very helpuful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She wanted to play with the cats and two of them, although they did not want to play, were fine but my black and white attacked her and she cried. But she was not hurt. I am crating her a few hours here and there so the cats can do what they want without fear of the new kid in town. I have a spray bottle of water for the aggressive cat. Talked to the shelter today and they do not really know what breed she is but they have to put something down. She was found on a main road and had no chip and she is not housebroken. Yes, I am going to crate her when we are not at home. My precious cats have been with me for a long time.

Thank you so much for replying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed on the terrier prey drive.. I have a mini-schnauzer who spends time gazing out the window searching the frozen snow covered tundra for squirrels. He goes nuts when he eyeballs a squirrel.

At our previous home in China, he was familiar with a cat. He just wanted to play. All was good until the cat decided to run, glad I had him on a leash.

You likely won't be able to overcome the terrier prey drive. It is hard wired in them. At best you maybe able to disrupt his focus...…...big maybe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds to me as if so long as you protect them from each other when you're not there to supervise, you'll be fine, and you're doing all the right things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts