Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could use some help here. I know I've posted alot of questions in the past few days, but I'm just trying to do things correctly and what's best for me and Waldo. I guess what I'm trying to figure out what is just puppy behavior and normal, etc and should just let him do and what's not. For instance, he seems to be whining a little more each day and more reluctant to come to me. (Often after coming in from outside.) Any thoughts? I wasn't expecting to bond instantly or anything. Just want him to be happy and adjust quickly.

Ok so i think I figured out what's been bothering Waldo. He's got a ringworm on the back of his neck (under his collar, which explains why its been bothering him so much and why he's been scratching it every 5 seconds). We don't go to the vet till Wed. I sprayed some tenactin that his mom gave me. Is there anything else I can do to help him until we see what the vet says?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Whinning is frustration. The trick is trying to figure out what they want.
Not wanting to come is more serious. That can be as simple as; coming to you almost always ends his fun...he has to come in from outside...has to leave his comfortable bed...was just getting interested in a wonderful smell or has to leave his toy. Calling to come into the house is the most common mistake that leads to this issue. Change it up...when he comes send him right back out to play some more....huge, huge reward. Don't always end his fun with the Come command.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Tooney's right. Read about the Premack Principle. The next time you call him to you, don't immediately crate him or make him stop playing with that other dog. Instead, praise him, then let him go right back out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts