Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am experiencing a management nightmare...

I have two male dogs, Cain (4 yo, neutered) and Merlin (ancient and intact). I have one intact 1 yo female. And I have some serious management issues.

I have never had intact animals. Cain was neutered when I got him. Merlin showed up in the pasture as is, and I wasn't actually concerned about have him neutered at his age.

Sugar, the female, is now in her second heat. And the brawl has started. It is so strange to me, because the first time she was in heat, neither dog even looked at her.

OBTW, as I mentioned somewhere else, Cain is the one who tied with her in the two minutes it took me to go to the bathroom. That was before I realized the extent of his happy feelings toward her.

Moral of the story... Merlin would love to eat Cain, if he had any teeth. Cain is too dumb to notice his impending demise, as he is totally occupied by the delightful smell emanating from Sugar.

We tried leaving the boys outside together. Nope. They piled up in front of the cat door and starting fighting over who got to stick his head in the door. Next thing...

The big yard surrounds the entire house, with a smaller section fenced off at the front of the house. Okay, so one dog in little yard, one dog in big yard. Ha Ha. Merlin dug under one of the gates far enough to get in the big yard with Cain. (Might I add, he did this in *minutes*.) At that point, there was no brawl, because neither one of them could get to the cat door.

Last night, we finally got everyone settled. The two boys gated in the living room, and the little girl gated in my room. She stirred the pot for a while before she gave up...

In any event, I realize I am not equipped to deal with this. Sugar has an appointment on the 23rd of this month.

I am sure we will all be ready. I know I will be anyway. x.x

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Never underestimate a dog's (even some neutered dog's) resourcefulness wrt getting at a bitch in heat. Some bitches will make impressive efforts to meet them halfway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts