Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone on here can help me. My puppy Kenobi hates men. When we first brought him home he seemed a little skiddish when my father would come over but he could approach and pet the puppy. Now Kenobi barks at him, runs from him, nips at him, and has even bit him. I thought maybe he just wasn't used to being around guys since there was only females and a young boy in our household now I know it's just something about grown men. We've tried letting my father feed him treats and the puppy will take them and he licks his hands but he won't let my father pet him. Whenever we're around any other guys he acts the same way. I give every guy I know treats to feed him. As the day goes on and my father is around longer he seems to warm up but the next time my dad comes over its like he has to start all over again. Or if my dad makes any sudden movement it scares the puppy. I'm stuck. How can I help my dog get over this fear of men? I don't want him to bite anyone. Please someone help!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
How old is the puppy and what breed? Where did you get him from? How long have you had him?

Barking, running away, nipping, even biting are also play behaviors from puppies, are you sure he's being scared or aggressive?

Also, lots of dogs don't like being petted on the tops of their heads. How does he respond to being petted under the chin or along the side of the neck?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is 19 weeks. He's boxer/lab mix. We got him from a kennel. I've had him 2 months. This is defiantly not playful behavior. My dad grabbed his collar to pull him towards him and the puppy freaked out. He bit my dad twice and hard enough to break the skin before my dad let go. After that whenever we would go to grab his collar he would try to bite us. He tried it once with my girlfriend and she punished him by locking him in his crate and ever since then he doesn't nip at us, he just rolls over and shows his belly. He doesn't mind if we pet his head, neck, chin area but I have noticed whenever my dad tried to pet him it in that area. Maybe that is a factor. I'm worried he's going to bite someone we don't know and we'll be forced to put him down. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I don't need to know who you partner is since it's your dad your mainly worried about. No forcing of pup to like dad will work and not necessary for pup to get treat out of dad's hand. A treat thrown near pup is good and down the road dropped closer to dad, aside from that dad ignores pup and let the pup make all advances not dad.

Also down the road have dad just lay on floor and ignore pup, this gets dad down to pup's level any caressing/petting can be done with dad's voice not his hands. May not work but definitely will not hurt anything. Who knows if pup starts accepting dad it may also help with other men.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts