Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question about maltipoos. I did a lot of research on them and they seem perfect for our family. I have a 10 year old daughter and this will be our first dog. I found a great breeder and put a deposit down. But my husband, who has never had any pets and is very nervous about this new adventure, heard terrible stories about maltipoos from 2 different people at his workplace. The first said their moms maltipoo jumped off a barstool and broke its neck. The second said that hers had 2 broken legs from jumping off stuff (as a baby) and they never reset properly and its never been the same since. I have not read anywhere that maltpoos are fragile, and the breeder said she has never heard of such a thing, but we do have a flight of stairs, and I’m concerned the maltipoo might get hurt. Has anyone else had problems with their maltipoo breaking bones or getting hurt? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I haven't heard of either Maltese or the Poodle being particularly fragile, but I don't haven any experience with either breed either. Hopefully some others will respond with better information.

A maltipoo is not a breed though, it is a mixed breed, so as with any mixed breed dog, you don't really know which traits you will be getting from each parent. I would think it would be extremely difficult to find a good breeder since they are not an actual breed so they won't be able to give you proper, reliable information on temperament, health testing, etc. I hope you're not paying too much for this puppy.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Toy poodles can be really prone to these kinds of injuries, and I imagine so can the smaller Maltese dogs. Structure plays a role, but imo any time you get a dog in the single digits weight-wise (for lbs, anyway, under about 5kg) you need to be aware that they're going to be fragile in ways bigger dogs aren't. Not every toy breed dog (or mix thereof) winds up with fractures by a long shot, but it's worth being aware of. You may need to consider taking precautions such as not allowing the dog on furniture, or at least training the pup to use doggy stairs/ramps so they aren't jumping off.

But some is going to depend on how this breeder operates. If they're breeding 2-3lb maltese with 2-3lb poodles (which would be on the extreme end, but they exist), you'll be looking at a potentially delicate cross. If they're breeding at the high end of the maltese standard, 7-8lbs, to a large toy or even miniature poodle, you're likely going to end up with a more robust pup (unless the parents have lots of tiny dogs in their ancestry, which can wind up producing tiny 'throwback' puppies even if the parents are larger). That's just talking size, of course, genetic diseases and structure are a whole different topic.

And, like Jen2010 said, with mixed breeds you've got a lot of unknowns and more variation in the puppies than with purebreds, typically speaking.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Our maltipoo weighs about 9 pounds. He is a very active little guy. Loves to jump up on the couch and bed all the time. He is 5 years old currently and there have never been any issues with him breaking anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts