Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know at what age is a Maltipoo considered an "adult" dog? I just got a 4 1/2 month old maltipoo and just wondering when is he not considered a puppy?

Thanks.:)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
There's not exact set age and it does vary with breed and lineage. Typicaly most breeds aren't fully mature until they're 2, small breeds included. However as far as growing goes most small breeds stop growing after a year old.

Personaly I wouldn't consider any breed a fully mature "adult" until they're 3 years old; but as I said there's no set in stone age and it's debated by vets and breeders alike.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
At least two years of age and, if you're talking about mental as well as physical maturity, I'dprobably put it closer to 4 years of age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason I ask is because I took him to the vet for the first time yesterday and he told me by 6months change him to adult dog food.. i thought that was strange...

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Most pups of small stature have a lot of their physical growing done by six months and don't need the same levels of calories, fats etc that a still physically developing (ie a larger breed) puppy needs for growth factors. Since it is more important in the long run to keep your puppy at a good weight once he's matured, many vets will recommend switching at around sexual maturity (6-8 months).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts