Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a dog again for the first time since my divorce over 10 years ago! I have a 6 month old maltese and wonder at what age I should have her spayed. She is strictly a pet and new family member. I love having a dog again she is so much company as my kids are grown, I am not that old and we run around alot. I have a couple things I am not sure about! I got her at 11 weeks and now she is finally potty trained.....went through the cold weather in Ohio!

I was wondering if you let their hair grow at about what age will their hair be very long. I am planning on keeping the puppy cut but was just wondering. She is such a good girl and her name is Holly! I try to take her everywhere they allow dogs so she will be well socialized which I heard will make her a good dog, is this true? I am having some trouble with under her eyes staining was wondering what is recommended to use safely to keep the staining out. I got a Brita filter put on my water faucet so she drinks only purified water to cut down on minerals, will this help? I don't give her anything to eat with preservatives. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks so much for any help.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Most vets recomend spaying between 4-6 months of age, however there's lots of debate about what age really is best. IMO it's up to you as an owner to decide what's best for your dog and what descission you're comfortable with. Just do a google search or search the boards here for age to spay. Absorb all the info about it that you can and then disscuss it with your vet. Personaly I would wait until after their first heat to spay, but that also means you have to be extremeely diligent supervising her when she is in heat.

Typicaly maltese don't get their full "show coat" until they're 2 years old. Keeping a long haired dog in a beautiful show coat takes ALOT of maintenace, but if you keep up on it it's not too bad. Alernatively as you sugested you can just keep her in a puppy cut, which is extreemely adorable for maltese anyways.

Tear stains are often cause by a pH imbalance. A change to a different or better quality food may help. What are you currently feeding her? All dogs are indivduals and there is no one food that's best for all. You may have to try a few different foods till you find one that works best. Grooming maintenance will also help cut down on the amount of staining, this includes brusing and rinseing of the face on a regular basis. If there are set in stains there are stain remover products out there. I've heard great reviews for Angel Eyes from both show and pet people. I've never needed to use it myself, but if you make a post in the grooming section about it you should get some well informed responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am feeding Holly Merrick which has no preservatives or artificial coloring so I don't think it would cause staining. I really don't want to use an antibiotic treatment for her tear staining, since you cause problems if you use antibiotics on a regular regimen.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts