Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a dog and I don’t know of I’m handicapping myself by only wanting a female. There always seem to be more males in a litter.
I don’t know if it was the dogs I owned but my males were very difficult to train. The females, on the other hand, practically trained themselves, although they all went to classes.
Obviously, there are there are male dogs that are not difficult to train. Maybe it’s something the males pick up on in my personality. I don’t want to keep missing out on puppies because I can’t get a girl but I don’t want to regret getting a boy, if i have issues again.
Does it vary according to breed or was I just unlucky with the personalities of the males that I had?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Seem the other way around here.
Deal with mastiffs, but males always seem more relax and easy going, females on the other hand generally are more intense and a lot moodier.

Males seem to go with the flow training wise till they get bored, females seem like they want to know why they should be doing this.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What Mastiff Guy said.
Males are more into it and females want to know, "Why and what is in it for me." These are German Shepherds (tho I have had three Female dogs that were NOT like that.. they are rare).

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
There's a couple of sayings re dogs:

Girls work with you, boys work for you.
And
Girls love you, boys are in love with you.

I think that sums it up pretty well.

In my experience, with my breed type, with my dogs: My girls tend to have sharper personalities (not intelligence, but respond faster, stronger, and with less thought), more sensitive, generally have more 'edge', work for the sake of *working* and because they love it and want to see the job done, are not as physically affectionate, and generally are not as tolerant (of anything, including handler error or unfairness).

My boys tend to be pretty forgiving, extremely physical and physically affectionate, a little less edge (compared to girls of similar breeds), work for me because they worship the ground I walk on, a lot *goofier*/less serious, less sensitive (in all the ways) and quite a bit more inclined toward environmental distraction.

I don't find either one hard to train and I don't think there's any difference in the intelligence of the dogs. I do think the girls notice and pick up 'life stuff' more quickly because they're just less busy being goof balls and plowing through life.

But.

Believe it or not, I prefer the girls :p I think it's a lot down to personality match.

·
Registered
180 Posts
With mine the girl is the Diva of the pack and the boys are the boss, the shy one and, the mischievous one. All equally easy to train, just a bit different for each dog. One is highly food motivated, the other three not so much. Certain foods work with the girl but, not many, one boy is the food motivated one, if it's edible, it's high value to him, the other two prefer either Kong or rope bone play time as a reward.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Generally speaking, I don't see much difference between "overall trainability" of males vs females.

Perhaps the only thing I've really even noticed is when intact females are approaching estrus, they sometimes have a tendency to lose a bit of an edge to their competition obedience skills. This happens from about a month prior to entering the actual heat cycle, during the heat, and lasts until about a month afterwards (ie: ... "where the heck did THAT new behaviour come from, and what happened to the stuff you used to have down pat"). I've always assumed it was due to hormonal changes and fluctuations which occur during this broader period. So, many competitors with such females will often refrain from trialing for those two or three months and resume competing again once that particular stage has passed.

Of course, intact males have their own set of behaviour challenges when training / trialing / dealing with nearby females in heat, but they seem to overcome the situation fairly easily when regularly exposed to it.

As far as the OP selecting either a female or male, I'd simply choose the pup with the most enticing attributes regardless of gender. Good breeders should be able to assist buyers with this process.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I am totally biased since I have two boys, on purpose. :D I generally find males to be goofier and a little less serious - both traits I like. I think females mentally mature more quickly than males. The best hunters, like actually catching prey, I've known have been females. The most smell oriented dogs I've known have been males. Of course, this is not scientific at all.

But from a training perspective, I don't think there is a difference in difficulty between the two. I would say it comes down to breed, or even what line in a specific breed, and individuality. For example, a lab breeder I know consistently breeds dogs who are sweet, handler focused, water loving, and food motivated. Whereas I know plenty of labs who love to roam, are not food motivated, are dog selective, etc.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
males always seem more relax and easy going, females on the other hand generally are more intense and a lot moodier.

Males seem to go with the flow training wise till they get bored, females seem like they want to know why they should be doing this.
My girls tend to have sharper personalities (not intelligence, but respond faster, stronger, and with less thought), more sensitive, generally have more 'edge', work for the sake of *working* and because they love it and want to see the job done, are not as physically affectionate, and generally are not as tolerant (of anything, including handler error or unfairness).

My boys tend to be pretty forgiving, extremely physical and physically affectionate, a little less edge (compared to girls of similar breeds), work for me because they worship the ground I walk on, a lot *goofier*/less serious, less sensitive (in all the ways) and quite a bit more inclined toward environmental distraction.
This has been my experience as well. I have one of each.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not great at dog training since I was basically thrown into it when I first got my dogs, but I have 2 females (chihuahua-poodle & chihuahua-minpin) and one male (chihuahua-pomeranian) and the male has been the best and easiest to train. He aims to please and for the most part is very well behaved. The only problems i have with him is fence/leash fighting and occasionally when the girls start howling he will join in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
One thing I have noticed from looking at Petfinder on a daily basis lately, is there seem to be many more males than females available. Not sure if this is just my area or common everywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My father always said get a female as they are more protective. That being said, dear old dad was not quite right. As with all training, it has more to do with training the human, than the dog; remember most dogs are willing to please.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts