Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are a 2nd time dog owner. Our first dog Sneakers was a female mini schnauzer who passed away this past February at the age of 13. We recently got a male schnauzer/pomeranian mix Oreo who is almost 5 months. he loves to play (as most puppies do) but we find with female people, he plays hard and jumps and nips mores than he does with male people. He has not yet been castrated. Any thoughts on what this is and how to deal with this? Many thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my experience it's less of a dog gender thing and more individual/breed specific. My current female pup is way rougher than my previous male and female dogs (heck, most other dogs in general) I think my last male drew blood once as a pup and this one has gotten me 7 or 8 times already

I would look at how the ladies are interacting with the dog vs the men in practice before assuming that neutering is going to solve the issue (in my experience it won't)...

Posture is everything with dogs (they read body language really well), my wife tends to recoil when the dog gets rough with her and for the dog this is just prey behavior that drives her onward and makes her want to nip/lunge at the recoiling hands/face. The kids running away is even worse. On the other hand remaining stoic while the dog gnaws on you, or crossing your arms and waiting is a good way to cool down many dogs but it requires a degree of fortitude that slight people like my wife don't have/want to employ.

Also I think men are also just more willing to get bit up on the arms and hands and it affords me some control over the play fight, I can position the dog, manage her energy by flipping her over, lead her around by the muzzle, etc... I don't care if the dog chews at my hair or makes my hand all spit covered where as my wife would be flipping out (enticing the dog even more) and going for the soap dispenser.

Also the larger presence and voice of man probably helps somewhat, being firm/commanding and standing up when things get out of the hand will probably help. Having the wife do some 1 on 1 training will probably help too, get the dog used to obeying and in time it will be easier to get him to comply in these situations.

Toy redirection helps, I'm trying (key word trying) to get mine to wrestle with a bully stick in her mouth so that she stops being such a bitey Aussie. Also at 5 months you should be pretty close to the end of the puppy biting phase, adult teeth should be coming in and then the biting should both subside a bit and get less painful (I can't wait).

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It's probably a quirk that he picked up somewhere. It's a fairly easy thing to fix, though, it just takes time and consistency. Castration will do little to curb this behavior, though. Also note that females tend to have higher voices than males, so it may make him more excited, which may be a contributor. But no matter, the solution is to withdraw attention when he begins to play inappropriately. When teeth land on flesh, or he begins to jump, withdraw attention. Walk away, step over a baby gate, close a door, whatever, just ignore him. It takes LONG time for it sink in, but it will if you keep at it. And everybody should do this, not just the females.

Eventually, the pup will learn that those types of behavior = end of fun. Just keep consistent, and you will see results!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I find that my dogs are more excitable around women for two reasons:
1. Women are generally more likely to interact/play with the dogs.
2. Women have higher pitched voices which excites the dogs even more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts