Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ! dilema , we have a female golden lab called Daisy she is the best dog in the world honest !! but then i am biased she is nearly 11 months old really well behaved ( most of the time ,never chews things, friendly, calm and loving ) so my problem is we are considdering getting another, do i get another female or a male lab, i have no intention to breed just want to keep as pets.
does anyone have an opinion on wheather 2 females work better together or a male and female. so far ive looked just at girls and was wondering about a chocolate or black dog. you never know i could end up with all 3 colours lol . no seriosly i probably will at some point .
your views greatly awiated ...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It's usually better to have a male and female. Same sex fights tend to be more frequent and more violent.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I agree. While a lot of people have no problems with two or more of the same sex, it seems to me that male and female pairs do better.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I would focus on the specific dog if I were you. I think it all really depends on the dog's personality. If you get a sweet dog that is easy going and well adjusted, it doesn't matter what sex. If you are looking to adopt, ask if they will allow you to do a trial foster with the dog to see how it gets along with you and Daisy before completing the adoption process.

But what the other posters said is correct; if you only look at the sex, then yes, males and females have a tendency to do better than two females.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
The worst dog fights I've ever been witness to were between two female dogs.
My mom currently has 2 female dogs...haha...while they get along for the most part...they still have a tendency to be quite...nasty toward each other. ;)

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It's usually better to have a male and female. Same sex fights tend to be more frequent and more violent.
Hear, hear. My dogs are primarily outside dogs, but for some reason Susie wasn't letting Callie into her dog house... she'd bark and chase her off. So, Callie gets to sleep with me tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts