Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am curious to what people see as the pros/cons of the sex of the dog. I have not spent excessive times around dogs that are the same breed and opposite sex to really make conclusions. Are their traits that are relate-able with the sex that reoccurs throughout all breeds? I am currently not in a position to get a dog but I am just contemplated what I would choose when the time comes.

In conclusion, what do people see the up/down-sides to males and the up/down sides to females?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I prefer females. They tend to be a bit less silly, more serious.

I have always heard:

A female loves you, but a male is in love with you.
and my experience would back this up. I've also had better luck with trainability with females, but that is probably more related to the specific dog. My females just seemed to have longer attention spans.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I always preferred males for some reason, I have nothing against females but I like males because they tend to be sillier :D and they are bigger (bigger is better in my opinion).

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I don't think there's a huge difference. I prefer having a female long-haired dog because she doesn't get pee in her fur when she goes; some male papillons do if you don't trim the fur (I have seen some gross-looking fur at shows... not on Crystal's breeder's dogs, though!). In general, I like males because a neuter is cheaper than a spay, and if you choose not to alter at all, a male is easier to keep than a female (no heat cycles and mess). If a person wants two dogs, I think it's usually a good idea to have one of each sex, as some breeds are same-sex aggressive.

Some breeds may have other minor differences (male papillons tend to be more cuddly and females more independent, for example), but I don't think there are any personality constants across all breeds.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I prefer females. They tend to be a bit less silly, more serious.
This is funny. In our house it's the exact opposite. The male is the serious one and the female is silly. Although the love part is spot on. Kaity loves everyone while Dio is in love with me and only me. He likes people but is faithful to me. :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
In my experience I've found girls to be less 'lovey'. Males seem to be all about the love and cuddles. My girls are too, just not as much. They will see me and wag their tails in greeting and come over for hugs and get all excited - but Sam? He will act like I've been gone a year or so.

I haven't owned a male dog in years, I find how they are always licking their bits so gross. Even if they do it once. Thats enough. Sam has enough fur to cover everything up thank god! lol and he knows to NOT go there in the house - you want to lick them? Go outside!!!!

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
I've yet to notice a difference in personality or interaction with people between the male and female pit bulls I've cared for. Of course there are physical differences and if someone already has a male or female dog then sometimes same-sex aggression might be an issue to consider. That's the only breed I have enough comparisons for within the same breed.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
like kodibarricuda said, females love you males are in love with you, that fits with my experience. males are very attached but in a forced way. females stay by your side but are more like a sentry. I have had several of both. ..I will never own another male, that attached "in love" with you behavior drives me up the wall. I love my girls sticking to my side without forcing themselves on me.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
like kodibarricuda said, females love you males are in love with you, that fits with my experience. males are very attached but in a forced way. females stay by your side but are more like a sentry. I have had several of both. ..I will never own another male, that attached "in love" with you behavior drives me up the wall. I love my girls sticking to my side without forcing themselves on me.
I wonder how much of that is breed traits. The two female pit bulls that I had the longest were totally velcro dogs that wanted to be all up in my business all the time. I think that is more just breed or individual than sex traits though, but I certainly wouldn't say that males are more "attached"

My male dog is independent to the point of ignoring me half the time. A content and lazy ignoring but so far from velcro that it is silly.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I really don't think there is a huge difference. I currently have 2 female, and 3 male dogs. "Females love you, males are in love with you." would be a good way to put it.

Male dogs are more cuddly than females in my experience. While I do prefer males I don't think it really has anything to do with the personality of the dog. I just tend to like male names better, haha.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
For animals in general, I always thought I preferred females.
Yet 5 out of 8 of my animals are male. :|

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I like females better because they don't run around lifting their legs for dribbles all the time, that's annoying to me.
My grandmother's female dog marks more than my male dog! And yes... it is annoying. Who wants to stop 20 times on your morning time tinkle walk? Not me! I'm ready to get back to bed.

I prefer male dogs because... because I just do. Maybe its the "in love" thing or something but I find males seem to be more concerned with what I'm up to.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've noticed it's a breed thing too. Overall, I prefer girls. In fact, I think I'll only ever have females again. I hate how boy dogs lick their bits, that is the most disgusting thing to me. I don't like the "lipstick" :p, either. I've found males dimmer than females, and more difficult to train. They tend to be more happy go lucky, and for me I find the one track emotion/personality really annoying. My girls have always been easier to train, more protective, quicker to bond with (my heartdog, Nola, is a female), stronger bond, smarter, more focused, cleaner, a deeper personality and overall I just mesh better with girl dogs. And girl stuff is much cuter with a lot more options! ;) They're also easier to name.
It's funny though, I prefer male cats over females, but female dogs over males.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have several breeds and mixes though. I don't mean that females are not attached either, my females never leave my side, in fact every dog I have ever had that was prone to running off has been male. however the females have always been more like sentrys, always at my side ready for anything as long as it involves me. the males have been not so much velcoed as forcably affectionate, very one track minded, like a boy with a crush always trying to impress you.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Both DH and mine for dogs are mostly male heavy in the past.

My doberman / GSD mix old dog is male...
My sisters' Australian Silkies Terriers are 3 males and 1 female.
Most of the beagles and hunting dogs of my FIL (DH childhood) are 3/4 or more males than females.

With Roman... DH really wanted a male dog for our female heavy household just to balance things up a bit so he says...
And Roman is definitely more a lover boy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have several breeds and mixes though. I don't mean that females are not attached either, my females never leave my side, in fact every dog I have ever had that was prone to running off has been male. however the females have always been more like sentrys, always at my side ready for anything as long as it involves me. the males have been not so much velcoed as forcably affectionate, very one track minded, like a boy with a crush always trying to impress you.
Def agree, my females never leave the room unless I do, they never get up unless I do, their life evolves around me totally and since I am retired that's perfect...we have a lot of fun together!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Def agree, my females never leave the room unless I do, they never get up unless I do, their life evolves around me totally and since I am retired that's perfect...we have a lot of fun together!
But this is the same exact thing my mom's boyfriend's male aussie does, he will not leave that room unless I leave that room (or someone leaves that room lol) he is very much "I have to know where everyone is" kind of dog (but of course he is an aussie) but he is very lovey in your face but I like that (he cleans behind my ears lol) except when he starts to nip ;)

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Males my first choice and would have to say the first reasoning was the whole heat cycle thing avoidance... Didn't need it, didn't want to know about it, not into altering any animal if they are healthy. Love my all male group feel males are always the happy workers of the sexes.... Got my first female 5 years later, and fell in love with the feel of a confident gal...just a strong quietness in them that I realized girls truly rule a group of males with very little effort to me that is their charm :) understood the heat cycle more and have been 50/50 males/females.. Could go either way in which sex now, am more into the individual.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have two males and two females. I always preferred females, because I didn't want a male lifting his leg on everything. Well both of my males squat, so I got lucky:) I know with goldens they say the females love you and the males are in love with you, I'm not sure that is for all breeds. I do have two german shepherds, one male and one female. The female is my shadow. She is playful, but more serious then the male. He is a big goof, but he is young yet. My oldest female mix is very independent. My golden is truly in love with me and probably the most well behaved, well mannered dog I have ever had. I expect the most out of him.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts