Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiance and I already have a 11 month old Peagle (Pekingnese and Beagle) Our Trainer at Petsmart told us if we were going to get another dog it would have to be a small dog and a Male. We personally dont care what sex it is but we are the type that if we fall in love with a dog we will want it. I am leaving for the Navy soon and our next dog is almost definitely going to a Goldendoodle or Labradoodle. Do we have to get a Male dog and does it have to be a small dog?? She said Female dogs fight the worst and she said that we would have to introduce each of them to each other after we are showing the new puppy lots of individual love like we did our first puppy. Is all this true??

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
One--not to be blunt but as you leave for the Navy, is your fiance ready for two dogs? Because if not, I'd stick with your Peagle (haha that sounds funny) and also I wanted to say thank you for your service. Now back to the dog....

I don't trust PetsMart employees with training advice. Some can be good, the one I went to never answered my questions. I'd ask and get the, "I'll answer that at the end of class." Never would. I see her from time to time and still thinks she has no clue as to what she's talking about. This seems like the case here; if your current dog can be socialized with big or small dogs, you can go for any type of breed. I'd be careful on how big though if your dog is really small.

I don't see why you can't get a male or female next; just make sure you neuter or spay them. You don't want any unwanted puppies. Make sure you do your research on the Goldendoodle or Labradoodle (there are size variations for them too). I've never heard that females fight the worst, I know some female dogs to be more independent than the males, but it depends all on the dog breed.

Yes, you will have to introduce your 2nd dog to the puppy and don't do it in your house. Do it in an area where your pup doesn't feel s/he has to defend their territory. Your pup thinks his home is his territory (sorry I keep saying him, your dog could be a female), so introducing a new dog in their territory isn't always the best idea. So do it somewhere outside your home; if they're fine, then slowly bring them into the house.

I think I got all of your questions down. I hope I was able to help somewhat. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Two females are known to be the worst for fighting, but it depends on the dog. Size is dog dependent, too. Some small dogs hate larger dogs, most don't care.

I'd like to address the doodle thing. There are no ethical doodle breeders. Doodles are bred by puppy mills or back yard breeders, not people you want to give money to. Both groups don't do health testing, breed females too often, fail to take temperament into account and add to the huge overpopulation problem in this country. Please don't support that.

If you simply must have a doodle, go for a rescue or shelter dog. That way, you're not supporting the abuse and neglect of dogs.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you simply must have a doodle, go for a rescue or shelter dog. That way, you're not supporting the abuse and neglect of dogs.
^^ This. ^^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts