Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old boxer that was introduced to a mix breed possibly part boxer male dog. the other dog belongs to my roommate and we are trying to move his dog in too. his dog is neutered but very aggressive around my dog. my dog is passive and runs when the other dog snaps at him. we have not been able to take the new dog off a leash because he is constantly lunging at my dog. we assumed it was our presence so we attached him to a pole in the middle of the yard and went inside to watch and hope they would calm down. The other dog bit me on the feet and on my wrist when my dog approached (thank god for steal toes lol) when no other dog is around the new dog is playful and will come up to anyone to be pet. What would be a good way to reduce the anger of the aggressive dog.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Walk the aggressive dog for about an hour before you try to "introduce" the other dog. Make sure it is a brisk walk or walk/jog keeping him beside the person walking him...not getting in front or stopping to sniff. At the end of the walk, take BOTH dogs for a walk about 15 min long. Then try letting the more aggressive dog sniff the rear end of the other dog. Try not to let the leash be tight or have the people around there be tense.

Regardless of how it goes, don't leave them alone together until you are SURE they are ok. It will probably be weeks before it would be safe...not hours or days.

Keep any treats/food/toys/bones away from them for a while. Many dogs will be more aggressive if one has something the other wants.

There's a sticky at the top of one of these forums about introducing new dogs. You might find that helpful.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Are they both males? If so your best bet is to get a trainer/behaviorist involved because they may never get along.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts