Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our newest puppy is cute as a button, and solid as a brick sh*t house, but oh my word if I don't get some sleep tonight heads are gonna roll. Last night he cried and howled until 4 am when I discovered he loves my bathrobe and he finally fell asleep on it and was out cold. Of course I have to be up at 6 am to work. We do not use crates here. These are giant breed dogs, I can not keep up with increasing sizes of crates and don't have teh space for big ones once they are grown.

Our other pup spent the first couple weeks with us sleeping under my bed and now she sleeps on the floor at the foot of it. This one wants to also sleep under the bed but he then cries because he can't see me. It is a new experience for me, first pup never cried or howled, in fact she just found her bark about 3 weeks ago. New pup has a solid bark already.

During the day he stays in constant contact with someone(he prefers me and my 12 yr old daughter), usually laying on our feet at the table while we work or while I am doing dishes etc. If I leave the room he barks and cries and howls, even if he can still see me and I am just across the room or in another space.

I know he is adjusting to life away from momma and daddy and into our home. I don't want to create bad habits that need to be undone once he is adjusted but want to make sure he is feeling secure kwim. The daytime stuff is not a problem, I have started tethering him to me. It is the bedtime that is a problem. Tonight I will try him with my bathrobe again, but whatelse can I do? Even when he was not under the bed as soon as it was dark and he could not see me he was crying.

On an aside, I had to laugh at my mother today. I am new to dog ownership but her ignorance had me laughing. She is convinced that because the new puppy already barks and howls it proves he is a mean dog and not safe with kids. He is 8 weeks old, there is nothing mean about him, he is just a scared baby right now.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It takes about 3 days for a pup to calm down. I think it's OK to 'comfort' him... but you don't want to react to him while he is whining, only when he's quiet... even if he's quiet for only a second :) If you react to his whining or barking, there is the chance that he'll 'teach' you to come to him by whining when he is alone. But he should adapt fairly rapidly. .... It feels heartless to let him whine, but he'll calm down soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I try not to respond to the whining/crying/howling, but when he was right inder my bed doing it, that was hard to do.

Onto good news. Last night I made a little "nest" out of my bath robe that he seems to love and put him on it (he had fallen asleep on my feet in my home office, so I just carried his sleeping body), when he wimpered a little I just danged my foot down onto him (for whatever reason he likes my feet), and he would settle right back without waking. He slept right through the night, from 11pm-630am. At some point the other pup came in from the livingroom and jumped up onto the bed and it never woke the new little guy. It felt so good to sleep lol

This morning he has been a new pup. I put my robe on until the house warmed up and he followed behind trying to grab it, has been boisterous and playing with the older pup and no howling thus far today. I was even able to go to the bathroom with the door shut without him howling. Here's hoping the rest of our nights go as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts