Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our shelter offers behavioral help where anyone can come in to ask questions (it’s by appointment now). It’s not really a formal program admittedly; it’s mostly long term volunteers and a local trainer who dips in occasionally. Most of the time, putting aside specifics, it’s suggestions on management techniques because most people in my area can’t afford multiple sessions with a trainer. Yesterday, a family came with their Papillon, who was little reactive. When asking about the background of the dog, they said it was an adult show breeder rehome ($500 price tag). They found the breeder, met the breeder, and ended up convincing the breeder to make monthly payments on the dog. They could have payed full price up front, but that would have set them back more than what they were comfortable with at the time. The breeder agreed to the arrangement, but it seems like it took a lot of convincing. By the time they came to us for advice, the dog had already been paid off.

Have you heard of breeders allowing to make payments on a dog? I’ve heard about it, but I haven’t actually met a buyer or breeder in or open to that arrangement. All the German Boxer breeders I met required payment upfront. I’d love to hear other people’s insight on this.

·
Super Moderator
2,906 Posts
I'd definitely be concerned about a breeder openly advertising payment plans for puppies - that'd scream commercial breeder in it for the money at best and total scam at worst. However, I'm not as fussed about a breeder making an agreement with someone individually due to special circumstances. I'm not sure I've heard of a specific case like this, but I have heard of breeders offering a specific pup at a steep discount or free to specific people they felt would be the perfect home for said pup (usually happens with sports/show homes the breeder has a relationship with and knows will get titles put on the puppy, or homes with experience handling the puppy's special needs or their exceptionally intense/difficult temperament). I don't see this as being hugely different than arranging a payment plan with a home that the breeder felt was an exceptional fit for their dog in some way.

I confess I'd be concerned about needing a payment plan for $500 given the cost of veterinary care, but I also don't know these people or the circumstances. Maybe they had a job lined up and the financial situation was very temporary, or maybe they had a plan with pet insurance and/or care credit to manage vet expenses, etc. Not my place to judge the breeder's call on that one.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It's not unheard of if what the breeder thinks would be an otherwise good home can't afford the full purchase price up front. I just wouldn't go into negotiations expecting it.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
$500 is a low amount to do installments on, yeah, but it IS possible to have a plan for vet services but not have a ton of cash to hand at the moment. The person might have a line of care credit, pet insurance, or a credit card they only carry a balance on in emergencies. They might also have a safety net - for example, when I was starting off as an adult my parents didn't help with things like rent and groceries, but always offered to help with surprise and emergency expenses.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The person might have a line of care credit, pet insurance, or a credit card they only carry a balance on in emergencies.
So you can't pay for the dog except on installments, and when there's an emergency vet bill, you can't pay for that and go further into debt and sign up for more monthly payments, or start with insurance, another monthly payment. You depend on parents for something that's not a necessity, but a choice - like a dog. Each to their own, but this doesn't sound like a smart life plan to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They COULD pay the full price up front, but they went this route. And the dog is paid off already.

I also got more info. Unexpected family tragedy. It set them back, but they aren't in the red. They do have a vet fund. Apparently in this case, it wasn't worth tapping into, as their other savings were enough to get them through. All family members are employed. Breeder agreed to the payment plan with the requirement that she be allowed to check in any time before the dog was completely paid off.

If someone can't pay $500 for the dog up front, what's going to happen if that dog needs the vet for more than a routine visit?
I actually do agree with you, storyist, at least on a personal level. I would only pay full price upfront for a dog. I also think people should have a comfortable amount in the vet fund before they consider getting a dog. Heck, I went three years without a dog of my own in the house, due to a combo of financial and personal stuff (which were not really serious looking back). Even though I could have gotten and taken care of a dog just fine with my know how, I didn't. I was miserable, but I stuck it out. That said, parus also has a point. Not having cash on hand now doesn't necessarily translate to no cash at all. It's the "pay less up front for the dog while putting more away into the vet fund" strategy.

I commend them for going out of their way to find an actual reputable breeder. They could have gone the "easy route" and gotten a pap for less on Craigslist, but they didn't.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I actually do agree with you, storyist, at least on a personal level. I would only pay full price upfront for a dog.
My attitude is influenced by having done rescue for some years. Not only did we get calls directly from people who had dogs with medical conditions they couldn't pay for who wanted us to take the dog (and in at least one case where we couldn't take the dog, dumped it in a shelter, which we learned of when the shelter called us), but we also had calls from vets where dogs were abandoned because people couldn't pay for necessary treatment - like broken legs.

I'm glad for these particular people - and the dog - everything is working out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts