Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*Title meant to say "Making my own puppy treats"
So i've just realized that most dog treats are exactly the same as dog food, but with worse ingredients.... and are much more expensive...

So i went looking for "natural" dog treats and holey smokes they are expensive... like $15.00 per pound... And i even saw "plain freeze dried chicken" for $30.00 / pound....

And i had a revelation, a pretty simple one... I can buy chicken when it goes on sale at my grocery store for like $1.00 a pound in bulk and freeze it, and when i make my own food, I'll fry up some chicken and put it in a Tupperware for my puppy for the week....

So tonight im frying up some chicken tenders in olive oil, cut up into small bites to do some training with him tonight. I think hes gonna love it :D

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
You might consider baking or boiling the chicken instead of frying - you might run into some digestive upsets frying the chicken.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree about the frying thing. I wouldn't fry it. Have you considered "jerking" it? You could either use a food dehydrater or the oven (set on low, like 165, for a few hours). All that dehydrated chicken thats in the pet food business charges an arm and a leg for something so simple.

I did it once and it turned out ok. Might do it again, come to think of it :)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I agree about the frying thing. I wouldn't fry it. Have you considered "jerking" it? You could either use a food dehydrater or the oven (set on low, like 165, for a few hours). All that dehydrated chicken thats in the pet food business charges an arm and a leg for something so simple.

I did it once and it turned out ok. Might do it again, come to think of it :)
Very good idea!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts