Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my pom on the good faith that he was completely healthy when I took him home, and only two weeks after I bought him I'm faced with the possibility that my four month old pom has liver shunt.

He's been sick since the day after I bought him, and the breeder said that if it is indeed liver shunt that they'd pay for the procedure... but I paid $550 for him, and (from what I'm reading in their regulations) they'll only pay the amount of the dog in vet bills. Unfortunately, liver shunt surgery -from what I've read- is in the thousands of dollars, and that'll only cover half. This is not what I wanted. I never counted on this. And now I'm attached, and he's attached to me.

I could go through with it, and he *might* live. I don't know enough about liver shunts to know what the prognosis is if he has it. But we can't afford that much money... we can't afford paying so much. But what am I to do? Take the dog back? Let them deal with the problem? Get another puppy?

I just... don't know what to do. I love him dearly, even after only two weeks, and it breaks my heart to think that such a dear sweet little thing as him might have a horrible condition.

So I want to know: What would you do? If you were in this situation, what would you decide? I don't know how this will help me; it won't make it any easier. But maybe it'll help me figure out what I should do in regards to my dog's future. I never thought this would happen... but it's life, unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,968 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that things have gone so badly for you. =(

I can only give my honest opinion, that in the light of the facts that:

1. The surgery is more expensive than you can afford
2. There's no guarantee of his survival or improvement even if you did scrape together the funds to do it

As horrible of a situation as it is, to me those factors really seem to lean towards putting him to sleep.
Perhaps someone here that's more familiar with the defect would have a better idea of what other options there could be? I've only read this page on it, and it sounds like a pretty grim prognosis for a young pup.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
335 Posts
I would take the dog back to the breeder and ask for a healthy puppy as a replacement. Yes, I'm sure you've gotten attached, but either way you're looking at the loss of the puppy and by asking the breeder to replace that dog, you wil end up with a dog at home instead of many vet bills and unfortunate memories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
I bought my pom on the good faith that he was completely healthy when I took him home, and only two weeks after I bought him I'm faced with the possibility that my four month old pom has liver shunt.

He's been sick since the day after I bought him, and the breeder said that if it is indeed liver shunt that they'd pay for the procedure... but I paid $550 for him, and (from what I'm reading in their regulations) they'll only pay the amount of the dog in vet bills. Unfortunately, liver shunt surgery -from what I've read- is in the thousands of dollars, and that'll only cover half. This is not what I wanted. I never counted on this. And now I'm attached, and he's attached to me.

I could go through with it, and he *might* live. I don't know enough about liver shunts to know what the prognosis is if he has it. But we can't afford that much money... we can't afford paying so much. But what am I to do? Take the dog back? Let them deal with the problem? Get another puppy?

I just... don't know what to do. I love him dearly, even after only two weeks, and it breaks my heart to think that such a dear sweet little thing as him might have a horrible condition.

So I want to know: What would you do? If you were in this situation, what would you decide? I don't know how this will help me; it won't make it any easier. But maybe it'll help me figure out what I should do in regards to my dog's future. I never thought this would happen... but it's life, unfortunately.
I'd talk to you vet, get as much information as you can about the procedure. I know nothing about this condition. You'll want to know what your pup's future will be like should he survive the procedure. Talk about the likelihood of future problems, etc. Quality of life is the most important thing.

If you feel your dog has a good chance of living a normal, healthy life after this procedure, I'd do whatever it takes to have it done.

After figuring out exactly how much everything would cost, I'd get whatever you could from the breeder, even if it's just the cost of the dog. Check all the fine print... and if they're a back yard breeder with bad lines and poor conditions, I'd see if I could report them for animal cruelty.. but that's another story.

As for paying the remainder of the vet bills... perhaps you can work out a monthly payment plan to help offset the blow of one huge bill? A lot of vets are very understanding. You could also put the bill on a low-interest credit card, and pay that off in increments. I know it's very risky, and accumulating debt/bad credit is scary... but sometimes you have to do it.

However, if it's fairly unlikely that he'll even survive and do well after the procedure, I wouldn't put him through it. No one expects to pay thousands of dollars in vet bills for a brand new puppy. It's a terrible situation, and my heart goes out to you. Just don't feel like a bad person if you have to let the little guy go. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
All liver shunts are considered life threatening. The surgery to close the abnormal blood vessels is expensive and you most likely will need a specialist to do it. He will most likely require lifelong medication and a restricted diet. I personally would not return this dog to the breeder. If you can't afford the medical expenses (and no one should judge you if you can't), I would have him put down. Untreated, it will only get worse as he grows.

I'm so sorry you both are having to go through this. Is your vet 100% sure this is the problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your vet 100% sure this is the problem?
Not yet... so maybe I'm being a little early in my thinking. I just wanted to get opinions in case it does turn out to be that. Right now he's at the vet's office and he's going to have the tests done to determine this. I'm praying that it's not a liver shunt, but it looks like either way it's going to be a grim outcome.

As far as symptoms go, he's lethargic, sometimes seems to strain when urinating, drinks excessively, spits up and vomits, his feces are mushy -not really diarrhea, but close enough-, he's terribly thin and dropping weight, and his temperature is low. So it all seems to point to liver shunt.

Then again, it could be something else. Who knows. All I know is that I'm not liking any of this. -sigh- I feel like I'm going through the same thing with Callie... she had kidney failure, and we were forced to put her on supportive treatment. I didn't want to have to worry about that all over again. I just wanted a happy, healthy puppy... and I got a heartache instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
It's hard to say, as an example, we all imagine a world where all children are born healthy, but some will not be sadly, same with puppies, we hope for a healthy playful puppy to bring home but some of us are not so lucky.

I would look at the results, discuss it with your veterinarian, ask about the survival rate, and if you really can't afford it ask if they can make payement arrangements.

I don't know anything about liver shunt, i'm wish you the best and hope for a great outcome.

It's hard... it really is tough.
Take care
Positive thoughts sent your way.
Natacha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... I suppose there's no more decisions to be made. We took Koda to the vet's yesterday and left him there to get the liver shunt test and he passed away this morning. All I can hope for now is that I get my money back or can get another dog. I hate this. So bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,018 Posts
I am so so sorry. I've lost a puppy quickly like that and it was awful. I hope you end up with a breeder that will work with you. That made all the difference in the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,466 Posts
Well... I suppose there's no more decisions to be made. We took Koda to the vet's yesterday and left him there to get the liver shunt test and he passed away this morning. All I can hope for now is that I get my money back or can get another dog. I hate this. So bad.

I'm so sorry this happened to you but it's probably for the best for the puppy.

Contact the breeder and see what she'll do for you. If she's a ethical, responsible breeder she will be happy to refund your money or give you a healthy puppy. She might ask for something from the Vet. Is a necropsy being done?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,574 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this. rest in peace little puppy. I hope you can get your money back and when the time is right, get a healthy puppy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
I'm SO sorry for the loss of your little one... I know how attached I was after even just a week so I can imagine how hard it is!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your support... I do have a feeling that it was liver shunt, though they still don't know for sure. They're going to do a necropsy to see what it was, but even so the breeder said I could get my money back (talked to them just this morning) and that they were terribly sorry about that. At the moment, they don't have any puppies left; Koda and his brother were the last puppies, and his brother unfortunately got sold already, otherwise I would've gotten him (Koda was the runt... that probably had something to do with it). Anyway, she is proving to be very reasonable... so who knows. I may go to a different breeder, or I may stick with her. I'm gonna give it a few days to work itself out.

Thanks again, it means a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,997 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened to you but it's probably for the best for the puppy.

Contact the breeder and see what she'll do for you. If she's a ethical, responsible breeder she will be happy to refund your money or give you a healthy puppy. She might ask for something from the Vet. Is a necropsy being done?
I think this is the best advice right now. The breeder may require some sort of letter from the vet stating that the dog is passed and the reason behind it. If it's a responsible breeder they should provide you with either your money back (since they knew of this condition before they sold you the pup) or a replacement puppy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
749 Posts
Thanks for all your support... I do have a feeling that it was liver shunt, though they still don't know for sure. They're going to do a necropsy to see what it was, but even so the breeder said I could get my money back (talked to them just this morning) and that they were terribly sorry about that. At the moment, they don't have any puppies left; Koda and his brother were the last puppies, and his brother unfortunately got sold already, otherwise I would've gotten him (Koda was the runt... that probably had something to do with it). Anyway, she is proving to be very reasonable... so who knows. I may go to a different breeder, or I may stick with her. I'm gonna give it a few days to work itself out.

Thanks again, it means a lot.
Sorry for your loss. It does not take long to get attached. I am hoping you do get your money back and if the breeder is an upstanding one there should be no problem. Look to the good side the puppy is now in Heaven and bringing joy to the other dogs that are there.

If it were me I would get the refund in full then I would look at adopting from a rescue or shelter. The dog might be a bit older than a puppy but it would more than likely have already been checked out for health problems. There are a lot of Pomeranian's available. As of this posting there are 1,175 on petfinder.com
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top