Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beau loves what I call the find it game. Problem at this point is making it more challenging for him. We have 1.25 acres to work with. The way we've been doing it is like this. Put him in a down where he cant see where I'm going. Then I walk off and take my sweet time hiding an object. We started with a softball sized solid rubber ball. We use different objects now, various balls, toys etc. Hide object, go back to him and release him to go find it. The dog covers ground quickly at a trot. His nose is pretty darned good. Gets within 7-8 feet of the object going by at a fast trot, his head hooks around towards the object like someone grabbed him by the face when he catches a wiff of it. Goes straight to the object from there, grabs it, does his prancing victory lap. Brings it back to me, we play a real quick game of tug or throw his ball for him to celebrate then do it all over again. He's getting too good at it. The dog will cover a half an acre of ground and locate his object in like 2 or 3 minutes or less the majority of the time. So far I've buried it under piles of leaves, put it up high above his head but where he can still reach it standing on his back legs, stuck under and inside stacks of logs and firewood, even put the dang thing in a shallow hole in a fallen tree- he had to climb the fallen log to get to that one. That one took alittle bit longer but still got it in no time. The nose........
He needs more of a challenge with the game but I'm about out of ideas.
Hoping y'all can give me some ideas!

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Get a nosework kit and go to town with that - and take it on the road and in the house. The locating the source of the different scents will up the difficulty and keep it fun.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looked at the kits on leerburg. This works well. My wife makes essential oils and we have a ton of different oils already. Well it looks like I'm going to be buying a nosework book and watching some videos on this. This is gonna be fun. Something new for both of us to learn!

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Just looked at the kits on leerburg. This works well. My wife makes essential oils and we have a ton of different oils already. Well it looks like I'm going to be buying a nosework book and watching some videos on this. This is gonna be fun. Something new for both of us to learn!
You're going to have a blast! Keep us updated on your fun!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will check the fenzi class. Have heard good things about their online classes.
I'm sure I'll have tons of questions once we get started....... We'll probably be driving you guys crazy before long lol

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Will check the fenzi class. Have heard good things about their online classes.
I'm sure I'll have tons of questions once we get started....... We'll probably be driving you guys crazy before long lol
One of the nice things about FDSA is that that there are student run discussion groups on Facebook for most of the classes, where you can ask questions and get feedback from fellow students, as well as the main FDSA Alumni group.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts