Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this in the May 2014 Reader's Digest:
A Thundershirt may help a dog that is sensitive to thunder and loud noises. ... To make your own:

Wrap an Ace Bandage across the dog's chest, cross it over the top of his body, and then back under, going over and under until it's midway down his back, then secure it. The constant pressure against the middle of the body may help ease anxiety, calming the dog down.

I've never wrapped a dog or used a Thundershirt, but I believe in Temple Grandin, who is the basis for the idea.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Just have to say be CAREFUL with Ace bandages! They've long been considered a big no-no in the cosplaying and trans* communities for chest binding on female-bodied individuals, because they can compress too much and cause breathing issues, bruising, and pulled muscles. I've tried them once myself (drag night at a club), and it was seriously uncomfortable... I would NOT use them on an animal that can't communicate what it's feeling, personally.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The wrap is supposed to be loose though, which is not like a thundershirt at all.

I looked into the wrap a couple of years back, but found that the way it works is as a conditioned thing. You put the wrap on your dog when he's calm, then do massaging and scratching and patting etc. After a few times of doing this, the dog associates the wrap with being calm.

So not like a thundershirt at all, which uses pressure.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Ah, I assumed it'd be tight, since a thundershirt - as you say, lil_fuzzy - uses pressure. I'd still be really cautious about using it for any length of time, especially if the dog would be unsupervised. From what I understand, Ace bandages are designed to tighten when they slip, which is great when you're using them to compress an injury, but around a ribcage... it just makes me nervous.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'm not familiar with the ace bandage to be honest, the method I read about uses any old bandage. If the ace bandage is a pressure/tightening thing specifically, then maybe that method does mean to use it for pressure. Something that self tightens around a rib cage would make me nervous too.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If you don't wrap it TOO tightly, and supervise the dog, it might very well be okay. When you bind breasts, you have to go pretty darn tight to make sure nothing slips. I can just see someone assuming tighter is better because it's pressure therapy, and combined with the fact that many people use Thundershirts for things like separation anxiety (where the owner obviously wouldn't be present), that worries me. I just wanted to make sure people thought it through and were aware of the potential dangers before they jumped right into trying this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts