Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,198 Posts
Oof, I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. It sucks when your dog is distressed and you can't find the cause.

Check all your fire alarm and carbon monoxide, since I've heard some of those can start to give off high-pitched noises when they're low on battery. I've also heard of those pest deterrent devices being an issue, or even high voltage wires near the house. Is there any pattern? Only certain times of day, or is it constant? I might start taking notes on when you see it to try to identify any kind of pattern or cycle.

Of course you know this, saying it for the lurkers, but a vet visit wouldn't go amiss if you can't figure this out, since underlying pain or medical issues can make a dog extra sensitive. We had to go to a chiropractor to figure out Frodo was experiencing soft tissue shoulder pain, since the vet couldn't find anything and he has weirdly extreme reactions to discomfort, including things that shouldn't be painful (eg a properly fitted harness that doesn't restrict the shoulders).

·
Super Moderator
3,198 Posts
I figured you were on top of the vet stuff! Just said it in case someone with a similar issue comes across this.

It does sound like something's coming from outside. Normal built-in microphones might not be capable of picking up sound waves outside human hearing, but that was a good idea. It'd be interesting to test if you have a friend or family member who has higher end sound equipment you can borrow.

I do wonder if she's associating a different trigger with the fireworks? I remember Dr. McConnell talking about a dog in... I think it was The Other End of the Leash who behaved aggressively towards 'random' visitors to the home (but not the same ones every time), until she learned that all those 'random' visitors had eaten pizza at some point before coming over. Turns out the dog had been kicked by a pizza delivery driver in the past and had strongly associated the smell with the event. So maybe there's a smell or noise that wouldn't normally be scary that she now connects with fear thanks to an especially traumatic fireworks season.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts