Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this summer Levi weighed in at 16.1 lbs. His ideal weight is between 14.5 - 15 lbs. After a few months of trial and error I've finally on a plan that's working well for him and yesterday he weighed in at around 15.3-15.4 so I'm quite happy.
Up until the attempted weight loss he use to eat 3/4 c of Acana Chicken and Potato everyday. Cutting him back to 1/2c didn't help at all even when paired with increased exercise. Success came at 1/2c per day of Acana Light and Fit and virtually no treats whatsoever. I'm impressed how well it's working. When I ran out I briefly started feeding him his original kibble and within a few weeks his weight had gone up. So we definitely need to stay on the light formula.
July 11 - 16.1 lbs
August 22 - 15.3 lbs
Is this too fast??

I'm not sure of this question would be better suited here or in the health section, but once we shake off that last little bit of weight (probably within the next month) how do I know how much to increase his food in order to stop the weight loss and prevent him from regaining it?
It seems that he thrives better on the nutritional breakdown of the diet food over the normal one. It's higher protein, higher fibre, lower fat. I fear keeping the same amount but switching back will cause weight gain again so I think we will wind up stayin on the light, but how much more should I feed him? Or should I leave him on 1/2c and just reintroduce some treats?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ginger came to us weighing 19.5 pounds and is now 14.4 pounds after a year on a diet. Once a week for half that time she got double to triple the usual calories because she was in class and as well as needing treats during class she needed her usual ration to start out class on the right foot. She currently isn't in class and needs fewer treats during walks [part of the diet plan was a goodly amount of string cheese to reward good behavior during walks] so we upped her meals from 2 to 2.5 ounces twice a day. She seems to be maintaining on that but I would like her to have a weigh in soon anyway.

I'd leave him on the diet unless you think he gets too thin then up the daily ration a few kibbles at a time checking his condition once a week or so. It is perfectly possible you nailed the amount he needs after all!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts