Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i found a way to train puppies(at least my sasha. lol) to recognize the mailman as a good/nice person who brings good stuff....

Our local mailman is always chased, growled, charged, snarled, cetra cetra by the local dogs and their owners wont modify/change their behavior.....

So when he noticed we got a "big" puppy, he told me about his experiences with the local bad hulagens(dogs) ... and asked if there was a way to train her to not do that... So that gave me some thought and i did some research and i discovered that treat reward for positive behavior is a catchy good thing to do(( from victoria stillwell's episodes of "its me or the dog" show on animal planet))....

Well I told him about this, and he bought a box of puppy treats and is giving her 1 or 2 each time she see's him.. either in uniform or out of uniform... **as he is also a neighbor of ours, lol** .... Well it is working after 2 days... Today was the 2nd day of this training....

She saw him and started to wag her tail and sat infront of him and waited for her treat... which he gave(in uniform this time), he then gave her praise for being a "good puppy" ... he went into the building... did the mail drop off/pick up.... then when he left, they(my oldest and sasha) were still outside due to waiting for her to finish going potty ... and He gave her praise after she sat when she saw him, and then gave her a treat... she didn't do any bad behavior as she has learned that to do bad behavior when greeting new ppl will promptly get her turned around and walked in oppposite direction with no interaction ((and this done repeatedly until good behavior is done by her))....

Has anybody else tried this method with their dogs when they was puppies when approaching new ppl or ppl in uniform(mail, po, sheriff, deputy, state, cetra whoever is in uniform) ??

·
Super Moderator
11,513 Posts
I congratulate you. Mail carriers can be notoriously difficult to train.

We had one in our previous home who kept threatening to pepper spray our huge lab, though he never barked, growled or even approached.

The carrier who delivered my business mail, on the other hand, seemed to relish daily visits with that same dog (who went to work with me.)

Like the general population, there are dog lovers in the USPS and some who are terrified of dogs. I imagine they have plenty of encounters with dogs who may be a serious threat.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think your idea is brilliant!

Our UPS and FedEx drivers carry dog cookies. They used to adore our collie, and he them. Aidan, not so much. Good old Aidan will lick them to death. I think he falls under the little, yappy dog category for them, even though he is a 45 lb. terrier. People around here are used to big, useful dogs (labs, hounds. shepherds) and beagles.

Our mail lady is terrified of all dogs. She got bitten by a big dog when she was a kid, I think she said. She was afraid of Aidan when he weighed 7.5 lbs. She honks if she has a package to deliver if there is a dog outside or it has snowed. It solves her problem, and I understand.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I tried this five years ago , ... but unfortunately my mail person was not trainable. :) ... they flat out refused to go along with the program. :( They must have had a really bad experience before?

Good job BTW! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats on landing a carrier who is willing to carry his own treat supply - nice! It's good to have cooperative people helping with the training.

My mail man seems to be a log lover as well, but we rarely encounter him, so it's kind of a non-issue for us. :becky:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol. I ran across this approach by thinking that "good postive re-inforcement" helps in other aspects of doggy training a puppy... why not with the mailman encounters as well? associate the mailman as a good person... Its working great... Today was day 3(sat that is)... and He didn't have to treat her as she loved getting pets 'n praise, but he did give a treat when he was leaving to her for being such a good puppy. But it helps that he is a neighbor in the same apt building.. lol. so he does this whenever he see's her outside... plus he has a doggy as well so he understands the concept of "good doggy = yummy treat" ... lol. I just wish other ppl would do positive re-inforcement training vs physical negative punishment... My babysitter is one of those... I told her to not grab 'n restrain Sasha by the muzzle when she nips.. and she did it twice today... I am trying to associate grabbing of the muzzle as a good thing due to having a young(very young) toddler who by instinct will grab the muzzle, lips, nose, eyes, ears... and i'm trying to get her to allow this with a good attitude(plus it makes it easier for cleaning the ears as she has floppy ears) and cleaning her teeth. She(sasha) is sensitive now when her muzzle is touched cause my babysitter did this so hard that she whimpered. Lets just say i'm gunna have a nice long talk with her tomorrow via phone and tell her to either follow my instructions or not babysit for me at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wish more mail (wo)men were like yours, then again the only way I'd even see a mail person would be if they had to drop off a package, and even then Daisy is extremely well social and starved for EVERYONE's affection, well... except for mine and the OH as she is with us 24 / 7.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
One day the mailman knocked on my door because he had a package and needed a signature. Kit barks like mad when someone knocks, and she sounds like she weighs 100lbs. When I opened the door, I used my body to block Kit's access, and I only opened it a crack. The mailman knew that there was a dog behind me, but he couldn't see her, except maybe a nose poking thru my legs. Anyway, he said very slowly and seriously DON'T - OPEN - THE - DOOR! I did as I was told, but was cracking up inside. Kit would love to jump all over the mailman and cover him in kisses.

A friend of mine recently had her dog confiscated (permanently) by the authorities because the dog bit a mail carrier. What I found crazy was that the dog was leashed at the time of the incident.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol. I'm teaching sasha(well PLAN to teach sasha) that to get attention she must sit pretty to get attention from people.. in light of how big she'll get and how fragile kids are and my mother is. she'lls be a 60-85 pound dog at full grown... so ya.... making sure she knows proper attention getting behavior while she's still "small"(at 25 pounds now. lol). Anyways....... I am glad i ran across this concept/idea ... as it can be used for getting dogs to become people friendly(if unfriendly towards strangers)...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GottaLoveMutts --- and i can just imagine the mailmans reaction if he was to actually see your dog(from your description he is small)... thats horrible that happened to your friend and the dog was leashed too?? WOW!! Crazy!!!!
i'm terrified of rotts. an ex boyfriend of mine has a rott and while we were dating the dog was a puppy, and i was gone for a week to 2 weeks on a vacation trip with family friends... and when i got back the dog had changed some then as the weeks progressed he kept getting more aggressive and more aggressive towards me... and my boyfriend was abusive(yes i know and admit it its been over 15 yrs) and laughed whenever he'd see 'n hear his dog growling at me.... I have been terrified of rott's since i was a little girl when a couple of rotts almost cleared a 6 foot wood privacy fence to get to me(and not to lick me to death either)... If it hadn't been for my GSD at the time, I wouldn't have known and my parents wouldnt have been alerted to the 'danger' but yet the couple claimed their dogs were harmless... until the dogs were caught on video(VHS tapes as this was in the early to mid 1980s) ... and they still denied it.... **sighs** some ppl.... but my mailman is happy that i am doing this soo young.... When we move in like 3 to 4 months(may/june) we'll have to find out who the new mail carrier is and start all over again probably unless she's understanding the concept in full magnatude of "ppl in uniform are nice and should be treated kindly".

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
GottaLoveMutts --- and i can just imagine the mailmans reaction if he was to actually see your dog(from your description he is small)... thats horrible that happened to your friend and the dog was leashed too?? WOW!! Crazy!!!!
She's 40lbs. Not exactly a small dog, but her bark is deep and loud.

Yes, the friend needed to be a bit more assertive. As the mail carrier was approaching, she should have yelled "My dog isn't friendly! Let me take her inside and I'll be right with you!" Instead, she just let the carrier approach. Not sure why no one was reading the warning signs from the dog, but I've been around this dog many times and I would not describe her as aggressive. It was a fear bite, plain and simple. Really, really sad.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I am a mail carrier. . .at least sometimes (I'm technically a clerk but it's a small office so we all do what needs doing). I'd like to carry treats but I'm afraid to feed other peoples' dogs; some dogs might be allergic. If the owners provided the treats that would be nice. I always pet the friendly dogs, so hopefully they'll continue to be friendly.

The biggest thing I think makes dogs hate the mail carrier is being punished for barking. Puppies always start out being friendly to me. Best buds! Until they get to a certain age and find their voice and start barking at me (happily at first), and the owner scolds, yells, slaps, etc. them for barking. Then they decide I must die. I don't blame them; if I got yelled at or slapped every time a certain person came around, I'd start to hate that person, too. So avoid any sort of negative experience when the mail carrier is around, keep doing the treat thing, and I think she'll always be friendly to delivery people.

I was bitten by a leashed dog, too. I think dogs get protective of their owners, and when the scary uniformed person reaches for their owner, they freak out. I'd rather be approached by an unattended dog than one on leash with its owner.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i feed her milbones - puppy treats ... and the mail man, he knows she's a puppy and knows she eats these treats(again we are neighbor's n friends - sorta, lol).. so he gives her these treats.. he only keeps 4 or 5 on hand and they are only for her...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts